• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just venting about my new Mini purchase.

Reaction score
A couple months ago I bought a new Intel Mini, just a little 1.66 and now i find out they switched to Core 2 duo. I would have thought maybe the reseller I bought it from (Frys) would have said "maybe you should wait a couple months
and get the Core 2 Duo" but no.......... They say they didn't know the switch was happening........ Sounds like a big steamy pile of BS to me... So now I have a 1.66 Core Duo Mini with 2 gig of RAM that I invested about $800 dollars in. I love my little Mini but this sucks. I think they or someone (Apple) should
upgrade me rather than dumping old product on me for the same price as the new ones. Any thoughts?????? Anyone have some swampland to sell???
Buddy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wait, you think the vendor or the manufacturer should upgrade you to a new computer because you chose an old model a while before the new one came out? Was this purchase forced on you? I assume something called "Free Will" was involved here but perhaps not "Sound Judgement" or even "restraint".

Please tell me you're joking....please....

As they say....Caveat Emptor!

OP
B
Reaction score
No, I think they should have told me the new ones...

were coming out so I could have made an informed decision. We're not talking about a period of time long enough so the dealer didn't know. I only found out the change was made today but when did they come out a month ago or so?
I don't really expect anyone to upgrade me although it's a nice thought, as I said in the beginning I was venting... venting.... Even a consolation prize like a coupon for a free upgrade to Leopard would be nice....O:)

Reaction score
were coming out so I could have made an informed decision. We're not talking about a period of time long enough so the dealer didn't know. I only found out the change was made today but when did they come out a month ago or so?
I don't really expect anyone to upgrade me although it's a nice thought, as I said in the beginning I was venting... venting.... Even a consolation prize like a coupon for a free upgrade to Leopard would be nice....O:)

A free coupon for leopard cause you bought a computer 3 months before it comes out!?!?!!! Leopard is $129 and not something that they would give you unless you bought a computer 1 month before it came out not 3!

OP
B
Reaction score
Actually 2 months but who's counting... Venting..... Maybe I should erase this and punch the wall or kick the dog instead... you're all so serious.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually 2 months but who's counting... Venting..... Maybe I should erase this and punch the wall or kick the dog instead... you're all so serious.....

You can't erase it.

I vote for kicking the dog personally. Punching holes in walls gets costly after a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're an idiot. Complaining about not being warned that something new was on the horizon. I bet you would have whined like a little girl that you are even if you got a new Core2Duo Mini when somebody didn't "warn" you about Leopard coming out or whatever Apple will be released at Macworld 2008.

We're not stuck up or overly serious. The fact is that technology evolves. There is ALWAYS something new right over the horizon. Get over yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
You have no one to blame but yourself. An informed purchase? You know how you make one of those? You R-E-S-E-A-R-C-H, it's one of the most important stages of buying somehting. I'm not getting my MBP till December but I started researching it months ago.

Reaction score
I think you still have a nice system so don't worry about it, but you might find the responses to this thread interesting because some people seems to think that system isn't even worth $400 simply because the newer models are out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
If anybody remembers this, before the iMac conference where the announced new mini's, everybody thought the mini was going to be declared dead, not upgraded. In other words, I highly doubt Frys would have even known about it that far in advance. Just enjoy your computer, you probably wouldnt even notice the difference anyway.

Reaction score
DAMMIT GUYS. SIX YEARS AGO I BOUGHT WINDOWS XP AND NOW MICROSOFT CAME OUT WITH VISTA! What should I do? It's only been eight years, they should upgrade me for free or something. They should've warned me something new would come out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
Don't buy a car in December...the new ones come usually come out around March.

PS: I a picking up a new 1.8ghz Mini tomorrow for $549(less 10% floor model). I have 2GBS of RAM from my MBP I m putting in it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Jeez dude. I bought an Ibook G4 when they came out with the macbook the VERY next day with nearly the same specs for much less. I'm not even complaining. Before the screen issues I had I figured my Ibook was the best purchase I had ever made. I don't even care that I didn't get the newest and the best. If your going to buy computers you should always understand that technology is constantly changing that you won't ever have the newest and the best for more than a few days, because the computer industry is always looking to build something better. It's a fact of buying computers. Buy when you need it not when something *might* change. For all you know the mini could have been wiped off the lineup for Apple, most signs and major businesses pointed to the fact that it was probably going to be discontinued seeing as they took so long for an update. But no one but apple would have known that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will bet you any amount of $$$ that Frys did not know a thing till it was announced. Jobs is VERY secretive. Frys knew nothing. Nada. Apple does not want anyone to know till the day the products are introduced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The only way resellers can guess at product releases is by gauging the current supply situation.

There was absolutely no way to tell when the mini's were going to be refreshed at that time. Most people thought they were way overdue, so according to your logic Fry's should have stopped selling Mac minis back in February (when the update was expected).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm still not quite sure if you bought yours before or after the C2D Minis came out, but it pretty much boils down to this: If before, Fry's and everyone else outside of Apple had no idea until it was announced, so it's not Fry's fault, if after, you didn't bother to look in Apple's website for updates, so it's your fault.

Either way, there's nothing for you to complain about. The best you can hope for if you just can't live without a newer model is to sell yours and spend even more to get the C2D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

Here's the thing.

Firstly Apple generally don't announce 3 months before a new model is coming that a new model is coming out. You know why? Because no one would by the old one. Secondly, this is the price you pay for buying into technology - it's out of date usually before you got it out of the box. I got my MacBook Core Duo 7 weeks before the C2D came out, and on top of that I had to pay an extra $100 for 1 gig of RAM, when the new model had 1 gig as standard, for the same price. It was annoying, but my MacBook is what I paid for, what I wanted and will serve me well until the end of 2009 at least.

Your Mac Mini is fine, will run Leopard and will serve you well for 2 - 3 years without breaking a sweat. Apple releases new products roughly every 6 months... just be happy you didn't buy an iPOD Video today... cos tomorrow you'll be kicking yourself.

Reaction score

No actually 3 cause leopard still has a month before it comes out.....:eek: :eek:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I purchased an Intel Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz when it first came out, probably the 1st month. They should have told me right then at CompUSA that a Speed Upgrade would come out almost 2 years later so I could have had the option to go without a Mac for those 2 years and wait for the faster model.What were Apple thinking?

:D

I am sorry, I feel people are expecting a bit too much from Apple, or for that matter, any company.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.