Encrypting Linksys BEFW11S4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I am at college right now, and i have the Linksys BEFW11S4, and i would like to encrypt it so only my roommate and I can access it. How do i do so? I called Linksys, and they said they would charge me for the support since it's out of warranty, so can anyone help with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
type into your browser 192.168.1.1 and unless you have changed the password, the default one is admin, you can leave the username blank. Then go to wireless, and then wireless security and enable it. I used 128 bit WEP, since this router doesn't have WPA, WEP will have to do. Enter the passphrase you want and hit generate, it will generate a big string of numbers and letters and that is what you will use to access the internet. When you go to enter the password on your mac you will want to use WEP 128 bit/hex. There are a bunch of different options, but that is the one you want.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Ok, i went through all of that, and my Mac recognizes my thing, but when i try to connect, and enter in that hex, this is the message i get: There was an error joining the Airport network "linksys2".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Ok, i went through all of that, and my Mac recognizes my thing, but when i try to connect, and enter in that hex, this is the message i get: There was an error joining the Airport network "linksys2".

make sure you are entering it as the correct type of wep, the way i described you will have to use WEP 128 bit/hex. If it still doesn't work, try putting a $ in front of the password, sometimes that will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.