Microsoft Office X help

Reaction score
I've had a iMac for a few years now and recently upgraded to a Mac Pro.
I had a cd of Office X (version 10.0.0) from the first time around, but when I opened my new Mac, I got a 'would you like to try a trial of this program for 60 days?) box. I quite happily clicked yes.

60 days ended last week, that's fine cause I have my cd from before. It offered to uninstall Office X and I thought that was fine too. There seems to be some sort of conflict now though. When I try open .doc files, it still tries to open them with the version 11.2.0 that I had for 60 days - even though I said yes to removing it. I get an error -10660. Which means every time I open a doc, I have to ctrl-click to 'open with', then choose the right version.

It's not insurmountable. But for stuff like opening downloaded doc files (which I do a fair bit for work), I have to find the file rather than just clicking on it in the downloads menu. Things like that.

I've asked a few people that I know, no-one has any idea how to remove an already-removed program. I've tried doing the 'command-i', picking the old version of the program and clicking 'always use this application to open all files like this'. It doesn't seem to save that I'd like to use the old verion for .doc files. Possibly cause they're the same program?

Would anyone here have any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I had the same problem getting rid of the Office demo. Eventually I had to delete everything and use Spotlight to make sure everything with Microsoft in the name was gone - an app called EasyFind will be useful here.

I didn't reinstall Office because it sucked, but that should get you in a position where you can install it from scratch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.