Airport Extreme + MAC Filtering...

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I went out and bought an Airport Extreme, and hooked it up. So far, internet reception is no problem (obviously). I am interested in setting it up the way I had my old LinkSys router set up (no SSID broadcast, MAC filtering), but am having trouble finding these options. Actually, I suspect I HAVE found them, but because they are named otherwise, i want to make sure of what I am doing before I do it.

Basically, I want to limit access to my wireless signal to my 4 devices (desktop, USB key, laptop, and Airport Express). Currently I have it set to a password, but I am worried about how I would enter a password with the USB key?

Also...I have connected a 1TB hard drive to the Extreme, and even though it "sees" it (shows up under "Disks" in the router), it does not show up on the desktop...any ideas?

Thanks a bunch, guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In Airport Admin Utility:

Turn off SSID = Create closed network, on the main screen.

MAC Addressing = Access Control Tab. Enter the MAC addresses of the machines that you want to allow access.

OP
T
Reaction score
In Airport Admin Utility:

Turn off SSID = Create closed network, on the main screen.

MAC Addressing = Access Control Tab. Enter the MAC addresses of the machines that you want to allow access.

My Airport Admin Utility apparently does not work with this particular base station....any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There's no reason why it shouldn't. Is it what came with your computer or what came with the AP. If it doesn't work, you can't do much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.