Wireless Audio Streaming to speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
I looked over the threads here and did not find anything that specifically answered my questions...so here goes:

What I want to do:

Stream my music wirelessly to external speakers. This includes purchased iTunes music and music not purchased through the iTunes store that has been imported to iTunes. I would also like to stream the radio stations from iTunes. I have heard that the Airport Express only allows streaming of purchased music....given that I was doing a search for a simple sender/receiver that you could hook speakers to, but did not come up with much. I figured you experts could help me out.

These are the speakers I was looking at:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en

2412.1.0.jpg

My Computer:

I would like to do this on my new iMac and/or MBP. I am already setup with an Airport Extreme Base Station.

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
You can stream anything audio (podcasts, MP3, iTMS tracks, etc) in iTunes through the Airport Express, so it is exactly what you want. I have one.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
Thanks for the reply man...so you can stream non-purchased music from iTunes then?

I currently have these plugged into the headphone jack on the iMac and it sounds pretty good

dealsurprise_1962_1454322

JBL Creature II 2.1

Do you think the Logitech system listed above will work ok since it is 5.1? or would I need some other device to take advantage of the digital surround sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I would suggest using an Airport Express plus the Airfoil software ($25). Airfoil lets you stream to multiple Airport Express adapters as well as specify sources other than iTunes to stream from. You can use iTunes to stream DRM-protected music from the iTunes Music Store, your own ripped music, or streaming Internet radio stations. Here is a link to the Airfoil software:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

The Airport Express supports Mono, Stereo, and 5.1 surround sound output. If you are just looking for a good set of stereo speakers, Logitech makes a number of nice ones with subwoofers. The model you listed, the Logitech Z-5500 speakers, are 5.1. You can watch movies in surround sound wirelessly from your Airport Express if you want. Those speakers also include a matrix function, which can upmix a stereo source to quasi-surround sound so that all of the speakers will be playing your stereo music. They are a fantastic set; my brother has them and they can't be beat for the price. Just make sure you get the proper optical audio cable to go with them; I get mine from Monoprice:

http://monoprice.com/home/index.asp

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
I would suggest using an Airport Express plus the Airfoil software ($25). Airfoil lets you stream to multiple Airport Express adapters as well as specify sources other than iTunes to stream from. You can use iTunes to stream DRM-protected music from the iTunes Music Store, your own ripped music, or streaming Internet radio stations. Here is a link to the Airfoil software:

The Airport Express supports Mono, Stereo, and 5.1 surround sound output. If you are just looking for a good set of stereo speakers, Logitech makes a number of nice ones with subwoofers. The model you listed, the Logitech Z-5500 speakers, are 5.1. You can watch movies in surround sound wirelessly from your Airport Express if you want. Those speakers also include a matrix function, which can upmix a stereo source to quasi-surround sound so that all of the speakers will be playing your stereo music. They are a fantastic set; my brother has them and they can't be beat for the price. Just make sure you get the proper optical audio cable to go with them.

Good info man...I appreciate it! I'm really looking forward to getting them now. Yeah...I'm not real computer savy..so I'm not real sure what ITMs or DRM music is. My library is made up of purchased music and downloads from Aquisition, so I just wanted to make sure I could stream everything to include the radio stations within iTunes.

Thanks for the optical cable tip as well...any recommendations as to best kind?

Reaction score

the only advantage of airfoil is the ability to stream form other sources other than iTunes, not worth the $25 price IMO unless you really cannot use iTunes. iTunes can already stream to multiple adapters.

Reaction score
I run from my Airport Express to a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and they sound freaking awesome. In my living room (about 15x30) I can't turn them up past about 4 without damaging the walls.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.