A view newbie ?'s that I can't shake...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
A few newbie questions that don't really seem to be hurting anything but they keep popping up:

1. When I do "get info" on my hard drive (internal and external), one of the options is to 'index' it. I think this means it makes like a list of whats on the drive so it makes searches faster but I'm not sure. And should I do this and how often should it be done.

2. I have an external firewire hard drive that I have added but when I went to do the "repair permissions" on it to make sure everything was fine and it said permissions are not set on this drive. My question is do I need to turn this on or is it OK to leave it off and how often should I do the permissions repair maintenance?

3. When I download an app from macupdate or versiontracker and its an update to an app already on my computer then do I just tell it to install the update at the location of the current application and it will overwrite/replace what it needs to in order to update the app or should I be doing something else here?

4. I have a sony cybershot digital camera and when I upload the pictures from the camera into iPhoto it names them something long like "2004-12-06-0032", is there a way to tell it to name them like 001, 002, 003 and so on?

5. Related to Number 4 ^ - I have about 200 photos in a folder that are named like noted above (2004-12-06-0032), is there a program that I can use to select all the photos and tell it to rename using a different format like 001, 002, 003 etc.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

rberry88

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. You only have to index it once really. It takes a while to do it
2. The drive is most likely not Mac formatted which is why there are no permissions. In Disk Utility go to the Erase tab and select the Mac OS X format
3. Just tell it to install the update at the location of the current app.
4. If you highlight all of the photos Ctrl Click go to Batch Change you can change the label on all of them to whatever you want
5. See #4

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
trpnmonkey41 said:
1. You only have to index it once really. It takes a while to do it
2. The drive is most likely not Mac formatted which is why there are no permissions. In Disk Utility go to the Erase tab and select the Mac OS X format
3. Just tell it to install the update at the location of the current app.
4. If you highlight all of the photos Ctrl Click go to Batch Change you can change the label on all of them to whatever you want
5. See #4

1. check
2. the drive is a Lacie 160GB firewire external hard drive I bought from MacMall and formated it as HFS+. I use it to store my iTunes Library and my photos and some miscellaneous stuff. Should I not have formatted as HFS+?

3. check
4. check. Learn something new everyday, this is a good thing.
5. check.

Thanks for the answers, #2 still is stumping me.

rberry88

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Actually I just looked at mine and #2 is the way its supposed to be. I have an external drive and all I can do is do a Verify or Repair Disk.

I do a repair permissions on my main drive whenever things seem to be running a little bit strange, whenever I do a system update or whenever I install programs

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Actually I just looked at mine and #2 is the way its supposed to be. I have an external drive and all I can do is do a Verify or Repair Disk.

I do a repair permissions on my main drive whenever things seem to be running a little bit strange, whenever I do a system update or whenever I install programs

Ok, I'm not too worried about it then, seems to be normal.

rberry88

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Yes, it is normal. Permissions can only be repaired on the disk containing your system. There's no need (and no way) to repair permissions on a non-system disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.