Possible to make a disk image of my mac?

Reaction score
I want to make an exact copy of my disk image so I can restore it onto a different laptop. I'm getting rid of the one I have, and want to take everything with me exactly as it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well, with Disk utility there's a tab named...restore I think (i'm not at my mac). Though I'm not sure if it works while booted into OS X, its better to boot with the OS X install DVD and create it from there. In that same tab there's also a restore image option so you can safely transfer your system to another.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
There's going to be a week or two inbetween having the macs, so I won't have them both at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you will need an external drive to transfer that image between the two macs then...

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
That I have, I'm just not sure if I need to buy some sort of program or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No separate software needed. One thing though. Please don't encrypt your disk image. And keep a backup of your important stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.