Text to speech

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I want to try to make my Mac say something that i speak into the microphone on the Macbook Pro. I have deved into the Text to speech option in the system preferences, but i can't figure it out. How's it done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 24" C2X
when you type something, highlight the part you want to be spoken, right click on it, go to Speech, then to Start Speaking.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
What application do i need to be in to do this? I tried typing something in Word, and it didn't gave me that Speech option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
It should work only in OS X native apps (Cocoa). Now I'm not sure how to tell them apart, but textedit, safari for instance should do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
What application do i need to be in to do this? I tried typing something in Word, and it didn't gave me that Speech option.

just select the text you wish spoken, then click on the applications name on the menu bar and go to services. Then just go to speech and select start speaking text

You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to this from your system preferences

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.