What headphones do you use?

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I am really getting tired of my iPod earbuds (these are the old ones not the new ones) and was wondering what headphones or earbuds you guys have. I was looking for some comfortable headphones or earbuds around $30 that you guys would recommend.

Thanks in Advanced

Ryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I use both the standard ear buds ($30) and Bose QuietComfort 2 (10x the cost). What I find is that if you use the little foamy covers on the ear buds, the buds stay in place in the ear better and sound fine. My only real complaint with the buds is that they don't reproduce low frequency sound very well.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Reaction score
Re: cheap hp replacement question

DISCLAIMER: The real place to go for advice on headphones is head-fi.org (though the forum specializes in the more high-end stuff they could handle your question as well), but I'll do my best! The new apple earbuds are an improvement its true but they cost $20 seperately! You can find much better for the price (just like Bose, but i'll save you my longer rant).

Buds: dont waste time with them, theres a reason they dont make any high-end ones. they have pathetic drivers (the tiny speakers) and they are uncomfortable for many and they dont block sound well. Now IEMS (in-ear monitors) from shure and ultimate ears etc. are different from buds. They go deep into your ear canal and isolate the sound from the outside and undisturbed bring hq music to your ear drums. the reputable IEM's however start at around $100 (tho ive seen some REALLY good deals on one or 2 but theyre still gonna be twice your target price) so I wont make any recommendations in that area. I only mention it because i dont want some guy to argue with me over semantics. if your gonna get buds tho get some from sennheiser. sennheiser makes some of the best headphones in the world. their MX series is all you should bother looking at bud-wise

Clip-ons: The only ones worth mentioning are the Koss KSC-75's at $20 but i wouldnt recommend the style. You get tangled cords and they tangle around the clip too and again theyre pretty low-end like the buds. Street-style is better for the only thing clips are good for: wearing hats and something that wont fall off because its clip hangs on to your ears.

Street-style: Try the Koss sporta pros. theyre ugly but sound good for their $30 price tag. I, personally do not use these anymore, but would if they were available at a higher end level.

Noise-cancelling: not available at prices around $30. Sealed is as close as youre gonna get.

"Normal": The Sennheiser HD 201s Ive heard many good things about at $30. Their sealed as well.

MY RECOMMENDATION:
HD 201's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I just have some Phillips behind the head head-phones. I have cno clue what the model # is, but they are white, have a small red band on the lower corner of each speaker. It was only $15, and mixed with my Nano, the bass is perfect, which is the reason why i don't like those small ones that came with the Ipod.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help, I have some great options to consider now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have a pair of the Shure E2Cs. Best earbuds I have ever owned. In fact, I somehow destroyed my first pair (don't ask how) and I liked them so much I went and got another pair.

Reaction score
Shure's great! but itll be very hard to find anything by shure under $100

But I agree that when you up your budget, the quality increases dramatically.

To voice my own motto: you spent $250 on your ipod. but its the headphones that you are listening to and if they sound like crap, then your ipod and all the music you paid money for will also sound like crap.

To answer your original question: what do i use? I use grado sr-60's. which can usually be found for $70. they rule supreme imo. though heres a warning that i havent seen anyone else give: you need a very wide headphone hole in your case or else the plastic surrounding the plug cant go through the case. I use skins and the evo3 (the most popular of the vid cases) doesnt ike grados... the only skin ive found with a wide port is the ezskin. An alternative at the same price which i own is the Sennheiser PX100's. these little hummers sound great and are just as portable as your ipod and the fold up into a little case. they're durable too and you can find em for 50 at a little place called headroom (headphone.com). if youre willing to go up to 50, get em, theyre worth it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, I got my pair brand new on Amazon for around $60.

Reaction score
whoa thats a sweet deal... okay then, if you want in-ear get the e2c's if you like over ear get the px100s... again if youre willing to invest $50-60

Thx for the heads up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.