Bootcamp Instilation in parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
i hav just successfully installed windows xp in bootcamp. i have now just installed parallels and selected to load my bootcamp instilation of windows xp through parallels.

I have a proble, when i load up XP it says that dramatic hardware changes have taken place and that i need to re-activate windows.

Is there any way round this? if i do activate it with parallels, will this mean that when i load back in to xp with bootcamp will that then ask me to change my serial code again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
This has been asked before. Parallels and BootCamp present very different hardware profiles to Windows. BootCamp presents your Mac's hardware, whereas Parallels presents it's virtual machine hardware and custom BIOS. I don't really know why Parallels offers the option to boot with a BootCamp partition for exactly this reason, unless there's some way around it I'm not aware of. If there is, I doubt it would be a legal one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This has been asked before. Parallels and BootCamp present very different hardware profiles to Windows. BootCamp presents your Mac's hardware, whereas Parallels presents it's virtual machine hardware and custom BIOS. I don't really know why Parallels offers the option to boot with a BootCamp partition for exactly this reason, unless there's some way around it I'm not aware of. If there is, I doubt it would be a legal one.

I haven't tried it, but I'd imagine you could setup two hardware profiles - one for Parallels and one for Boot Camp. There is some flexibility in product activation, but you might have to reactivate on at least one occasion.

I would check out on Parallels support forums and see if there's a workaround - threads like this should get you started.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i guess its best just to have bootcamp separate and install another copy of windows within parallels?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i guess its best just to have bootcamp separate and install another copy of windows within parallels?

It depends on your needs. It can be made to work, but frankly, if you're not playing a lot of games in Windows, just installing it through Parallels gives you a great deal more flexibility. As it stands, Parallels does provide some support for older DX8 and some DX9 games, so even that advantage is beginning to erode.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i wont be playing any games on it at all i dont think, i just want windows to run some applications that i may need for uni.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i wont be playing any games on it at all i dont think, i just want windows to run some applications that i may need for uni.

I'd say just do a regular install with Parallels, creating a hard disk file. The nice thing about doing it that way is that you won't have to worry about eating up a static chunk of your disk. When Parallels needs more space for XP, Vista... or whatever, it can then just dynamically resize the hard disk file. The other advantage is that Parallels can "pause" the virtual machine easily when you shut it down. If you do this with a Boot Camp partition, it requires that the Boot Camp install be placed into Hibernate mode. This can take a great deal of time to recover from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.