Hardware Firewall for AirPort Extreme

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Is there a hardware firewall anyone recommends to work with the AirPort Extreme (and one that won't cost hundreds of £'s)?

I have the OS X firewall running on my Macs and have a software firewall enabled on my ADSL modem (and I think the AirPort Extreme does some firewally stuff too) but there are a lot of Windows users in my home who won't pay for a firewall and I don't trust Vista's Firewall (and the only free one I can find are from PC Tools and its a little rubbish and uses a lot of reasources).

Is there any worth in running a firewall between my AirPort Extreme and ADSL modem or have I covered my network enough and I am just over reacting (hopefully the later is the case)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there a hardware firewall anyone recommends to work with the AirPort Extreme (and one that won't cost hundreds of £'s)?

I have the OS X firewall running on my Macs and have a software firewall enabled on my ADSL modem (and I think the AirPort Extreme does some firewally stuff too) but there are a lot of Windows users in my home who won't pay for a firewall and I don't trust Vista's Firewall (and the only free one I can find are from PC Tools and its a little rubbish and uses a lot of reasources).

Is there any worth in running a firewall between my AirPort Extreme and ADSL modem or have I covered my network enough and I am just over reacting (hopefully the later is the case)?

I would say not to worry about it. Your DSL modem has a NAT firewall, your AirPort has a NAT firewall and your Macs and PCs both have software firewalls. Unless you're worried about OUTGOING transmissions from your machines, there is no need for a hardware firewall or different software firewalls other than what's included in OS X and Vista/XP.

If you are indeed concerned about outgoing transmissions, try ZoneAlarm free edition for Windows Vista. Probably one of the best there is.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Thanks for that. I thought I might just be worrying over nothing.

I switched to Macs when Vista came out and previous to that I didn't find XP SP2's firewall to be any good so I was a little worried about viruses for Vista users.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for that. I thought I might just be worrying over nothing.

I switched to Macs when Vista came out and previous to that I didn't find XP SP2's firewall to be any good so I was a little worried about viruses for Vista users.

Just to be clear, firewalls do not stop viruses. They can keep hackers from locating and penetrating your system, but a virus can still come from removable media, email, etc. They can also be useful tools for finding out if your system is infected with Spyware. With a firewall that blocks out-going traffic, you can determine if a piece of software is trying to "phone home" or if your system is infected a Trojan that is trying to send information from your computer.

The firewall in Windows XP and Vista is not bad, configured properly - but it only goes so far in that it doesn't stop outbound traffic (although it can prevent certain applications from acting like a "server"). Most people will be fine sitting behind a NAT firewall that is built into most routers. With that said, it's still not a bad idea to keep software firewalls enabled in the event your network is penetrated or you leave that network and join another, public network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.