• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

computer wont discover camera, help

Reaction score
I just bought myself a firewire for my JVC gr d770 camera. The problem is when i plug my camera into my imac, nothing happens. The computer doesn't discover the camera. Im new to all this camera stuff so i need serious help. Thanks in advance.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you open iMovie and check for a camera? OSX does not make sounds and pop stuff up on the desktop like Windows when you plug in a device. Threw me off the first time I used OSX with cameras.

Reaction score
i i am in same situation, i have the 40GB version MG575AH , just bougght today.

the sales showed me by plugging in USB to the computer and imovie found the cam. when i got home, using also imovie o8 i set everything up but nothing..........then i tried using thye craddle and firewire cable (cable not supplied) and once i hit play on the cam imovie asked me if i want to import the movie. i hit yes and then the whole movie plays and imports.

so somehow it works, i just dont understand why it has to play the whole movie on the camera (and the lcd screen)

anyway editing and saving with imovie and idvd was a blast, but imovie and idvd took about 30 minutes each to render and burn the disc with only about 25 minutes of video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You sure are a demanding bugger. ;D You're on a forum where people view it at their pace, not yours. Show some patience. Forty nine minutes isn't long.

Anyhow, watch this tutorial at Apple and see if it answers your question. For instance perhaps you didn't switch the camera on properly which you'll see at teh beginning if I recall right. Also give it a minute to register with the system.

Using System Profiler in the Utilities folder you can see if the camera is being seen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.