MacMail won't launch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 867 MHz Power PC G4 OS 10.4.10
When I click on my mail icon - whether in the doc, my hard drive or my back-up copy on an external hard drive - it won't launch. The icon will bounce one time then stop. That's as far as it goes.

I had Mail open yesterday morning and then closed it to upgrade to Microsoft Office 2004. Once that installation was complete I restarted. Mail has not opened since.

Any ideas? I'm suspecting Entourage is overriding somehow??? I'm trying to avoid reloading the app because of 100s of saved mail messages relating to work projects.

Thanks for any suggestions!

OP
mockingbirdky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also... I'm using OX 10.4.10 on a G4 mirror front dual processor.

Thanks again in advance! I really need to get my mail back as my business is almost totally run thru e-mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
This may work.
Go to Yourusername->library->Preference->find "com.apple.mail.plist"

trash this file, empty trash and restart mail.app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 2.4GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM
Another method i've found that works is to turn off wireless, then open mail. Turn wireless on and then close and repopen mail. It normally opens again.

I've also found disabling the junk mail filter whilst wireless is off can help open mail too.

OP
mockingbirdky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may work.
Go to Yourusername->library->Preference->find "com.apple.mail.plist"

trash this file, empty trash and restart mail.app.

Saw this elsewhere on the board and tried it... no luck.

OP
mockingbirdky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked the console log and here's the error message - now I just need to figure out what to do about it...

dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ISSupport.framework/Versions/A/ISSupport
Referenced from: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ISSupport.framework/Versions/A/ISSupport: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x00 0x1B 0x00 0x1C 0x00 0x1D 0x00 0x1E
Sep 3 07:58:29 XXXXXX-Computer crashdump[493]: Mail crashed
Sep 3 07:58:29 XXXXXX-Computer crashdump[493]: crash report written to: /Users/XXXXXX/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Mail.crash.log

OP
mockingbirdky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another method i've found that works is to turn off wireless, then open mail. Turn wireless on and then close and repopen mail. It normally opens again.

I've also found disabling the junk mail filter whilst wireless is off can help open mail too.

Tried it - no luck. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.