Iphone unlock success?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
So there are three methods available to unlock the iPhone (Sim free) at the moment that I know of.

* Turbo Sim - Expensive, totally not beneficial to buy if you're just unlocking your own iPhone.

* Software unlock reported by engadget, not available to the general public yet (ever).

* Geohot's hardware unlock - Complicated procedure, steps posted on his blog and now everywhere you look.

What my question is, has anyone actually experienced any of these unlock methods? Preferably looking for some feedback from the folks in the UK.

I'm dubious to medal with the hardware unlock, incase I screw up the phone, and if I actually succeed, i'm worried Edge will not work properly with any UK service providers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Does EDGE work in the UK? I thought it was all 3G over here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
iphonesimfree has officially started selling their software unlock to resellers today.

http://www.iphonesimfree.com/cgi-bin/iphonesimfree/engine.pl?page=home

they have posted a new video up on their site and engadget has posted a video proving it is the geniune unlock software.

Only thing is, you have to by from resellers, not from them directly ( helps them avoid the AT &T lawyer squad!)

iphonesimfree does list some resellers on their site, but if you are interested, don't buy it from the american reseller. The greedy *bleep* is charging $99 whereas others are charging $50..so makes sense to buy it from them

How the process works is simple.. you pay the reseller.. they take your IMEI number, and send it to iphonesimfree..then the reseller will send you a link to an application, which you download to your iphone via wifi..it will appear on your main screen..run it and viola..unlock!

And yea, it is the geniune thing. Well seems like it anyway

One of the biggest resellers is trash over at the hacint0sh forums and iphonesimfree gave him the first 50 licences already. Once we hear from them all, it should be further proof its a geniune thing

They dont guarentee it will work in future iphone firemware upgrades, but so far upto 1.02 it works

turbosims are sold out and go for hundreds in ebay, the hardware unlock is risky and one guy managed to literally blow up his iPhone! ( Who says iPhones aren't the most explosive gadgets ever?!)

there is another method, hyper-sim but it costs $120 at hyper-cards.com

software unlock at $50..hmm, this is great since i'm in UK and i want to use my o2 sim

I'm going to wait a few more days and see what happens

mi6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram
give a week or so...
new iphone update is coming...
apple might re-lock the phone..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
updating is a choice, isn't it? it isn't mandatory..unless they release an application with the update noone can refuse lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, the software unlocks by iPhoneSIMfree work in such a way that updates can't lock them up permanently. You run the update, the phone gets locked, and then you run the utility again to unlock it.

Apple would have to really change the firmware to disable the unlock, but then they risk accessories no longer working. To be honest, it's only AT&T that really cares and since the contract between the two companies has already been signed, I don't see Apple getting too bent out of shape by an unlock. In fact, it was the AT&T lawyers that tried to stop iPhoneSIMfree from releasing its software, not Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i see more sales of iphones going up because of this through apple themselves.. especially importers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, that's what most reports stated. An increase in iPhone sales, regardless of why they're being bought, works for me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
Actually, the software unlocks by iPhoneSIMfree work in such a way that updates can't lock them up permanently. You run the update, the phone gets locked, and then you run the utility again to unlock it.

Apple would have to really change the firmware to disable the unlock, but then they risk accessories no longer working. To be honest, it's only AT&T that really cares and since the contract between the two companies has already been signed, I don't see Apple getting too bent out of shape by an unlock. In fact, it was the AT&T lawyers that tried to stop iPhoneSIMfree from releasing its software, not Apple.

does this mean that if they release an update, and you do update your phone.. do you get to keep the current OS as well as keeping it unlocked? or do you have to revert back to the old firmware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Man... if they only can get it to work with Verizon I'd buy an iPhone in a HeartBeat :(

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
Reaction score
Ipod unlocking is super easy now, so is hacking them and throwing awesome apps on!!! the phone from the factory is awesome!!! but once you unlock it... holy crap!!! INCREDIBLE!!!! i love my iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
well nuts... i've got a guy here selling his for $325, but i'm on verizon... i can get the 8G ipod touch for $299... would i be able to get online without the phone function???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, there is a simple program that lets you activate the iPhone so that you can use it's non-phone functions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I've jailbreaked, unlocked and activated my iPhone within an hour and use it on T-Mobile. Works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I really want to buy an Iphone but do not have At&t where I live. If I get the phone will it work at all for anything with out activation through At&t? I could unlock it yes, but am curious how it works prior to unlocking it if you do not sign up with at&t? Which unlock program would be best...thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Out of the box, you need to activate the iPhone before you can use any of its features. However, there is a program that allows you to bypass this requirement so that you can use the non-phone features. However, note that without activation, you won't be able to use the cellular network.

By unlocking the phone, you can throw in a SIM card from any GSM provider and be able to use the iPhone on that network. I haven't unlocked my own iPhone, so unfortunately, I can't help you with specifics. But it looks like Dimitri has unlocked his phone. Perhaps you can send him a PM and he'll be able to help you out. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.