Iphone unlock success?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
Would seem most are happy with it. Should be noted though, that iNdependence only activates and jailbreaks the phone.

To UNLOCK the phone (for use with other GSM providers), the latest way is to use iUnlock by the iPhone Dev Team. Which is shown in the above tutorial.

Out of interest, what unlock method did you use Dimitri?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I used iUnlock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
you can use ay feature except the voicemail after unlocking your iphone.. yes, even the youtube feature

the new iNdependence lets you jailbreak, and activate your phone even allowing youtube

i used the dev teams unlock method the moment is came out..so wasn't as simplified as it is now.

thank god for fugu!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Yes, Fugu is a nice tool. Voicemail works fine, but you don't get "visual" voicemail, just standard like you would any other phone.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
Well, to answer my original post, i can vouch for the anySIM GUI unlock method. Unlocked by brand new iPhone, and am now using it on Orange in the UK.

It's everything I'd ever hoped for in a gadget, and this post was even written using it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Unlocked Iphone

I know a guy that is selling a new unlocked 4gb Iphone for about 450.00...I am buying mine tomorrow. I will ask if it will be alright to post his info. incase anyone here is interested....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I'm about ready to buy one.

Does anybody think that I won't be able to unlock it? I mean is there still a decent chance something could go wrong?

One more thing... Using INdependence and iPhone Dev Team to activate and unlock my phone, will I be able to then stick an AT & T sim in it and use the phone with the 20 dollar charge or the specific iPhone plan (I just have a family plan and I realize I wont the unlimited data or anything)?

ANd all the tutorials say to install openSSH. How do I do it and where can I find it?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. You can install ssh on the phone via installer (apptapp). See the hacktheiphone link I posted above for a comprehensive tutorial.

Reaction score
Apple would have to really change the firmware to disable the unlock, but then they risk accessories no longer working. To be honest, it's only AT&T that really cares and since the contract between the two companies has already been signed, I don't see Apple getting too bent out of shape by an unlock. In fact, it was the AT&T lawyers that tried to stop iPhoneSIMfree from releasing its software, not Apple.

Apple has a lot to lose over unlocking the iphone. Part of the contract between Apple and AT&T is that AT&T pays Apple 20% of the base monthly service contract for each iphone registered on the AT&T network (has an active 2 year contract with AT&T) . So with over 1 million units sold and lots of iphones being unlocked and more wanting to unlock the iphone its just more money Apple will never see, so you can see why Apple wants to lock them back up. AT&T makes NO money on the iphone, and if you started out with AT&T with an iphone then leave before the 2 year contract i up you pay a $175 early termination fee. this is the only way AT&T will make a profit from you. It takes on average 18 to 24 months for ANY wireless company to make any profit off of any customer. Thats one of the reasons for 2 year contracts.

Same goes for our friends across the pond in the UK and down under.

Apple is really sticking it to the Wireless companies, with the contracts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Apple has a lot to lose over unlocking the iphone. Part of the contract between Apple and AT&T is that AT&T pays Apple 20% of the base monthly service contract for each iphone registered on the AT&T network (has an active 2 year contract with AT&T) . So with over 1 million units sold and lots of iphones being unlocked and more wanting to unlock the iphone its just more money Apple will never see, so you can see why Apple wants to lock them back up. AT&T makes NO money on the iphone, and if you started out with AT&T with an iphone then leave before the 2 year contract i up you pay a $175 early termination fee. this is the only way AT&T will make a profit from you. It takes on average 18 to 24 months for ANY wireless company to make any profit off of any customer. Thats one of the reasons for 2 year contracts.

It would also effect the Apple image though. Right now there now as the super customer friendly, great product, cool image type company. But locking the iphone back up would settle good with a lot of people who would be willing to buy the iphone 2 or anything new Apple comes out with.

My $0.02.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think Apple and many of these cellphone companies would do so much better if they allowed their cool type phones to be unlocked. But I suppose thats their way of hanging on to you since they know you love that cool new phone and can't use it else where...or so they think...LOL

To me it just makes good business sense to make the phones available to all...Maybe make it unlocked but have a stricter contract with heavier fees for canceling early.

Sure would draw a lot more respect to the one that actually cared more for the customers that are loyal to their products. This way they continue to be a loyal repeat happy customer. Sucks when you pay 600.00 for a phone you can't use else where should you move or something...But now we can...LOL

I am quite sure apple will find a way to lock them again...thats when they will lose this loyal customer for good...

By the way I get my Iphone today...I am so excited...I'll let you guys know how I like it later...

Reaction score

While I agree ATT makes no money on the sale of the iphone I have to disagree that they don't make money on the contract. The 18-24 months you quote are typically thrown out when you get a carrier subsidy on a 'free' phone. In a past life I used to work for a mobile carrier and I can tell you they make plenty off customers and that 18 months is very inflated (our average was a little over 7 months with the subsidy). But its great propoganda to get ppl to agree to a 2yr agreement. The only way I could see ATT not making money is if they are subsidizing the iphone to get the prices down to 300/400 which is not the impression I am under.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB Pro 15"
Bought mine and unlocked it today, worked great.

Can you uninstall anysim once its all unlocked?

Reaction score
Bought one last week after seening the touch in person and wasnt impressed by it and felt the iphone with a camera and bluetooth along with external speakers was a better buy.. Had the phone unlocked(sim unlocked) in under 25mins, bought a T mob sim card on ebay for $5 to test it out and it works great... To bad sprint doesnt use sim cards or GSM...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well nuts... i've got a guy here selling his for $325, but i'm on verizon... i can get the 8G ipod touch for $299... would i be able to get online without the phone function???

My Iphone is unlocked and I can use everything except the visual voicemail.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iBook
Bought mine and unlocked it today, worked great.

Can you uninstall anysim once its all unlocked?

Of course, just SSH back into the phone and remove it from the /Applications directory.

Once done you should stop the SSH server, as it consumes a lot of battery power. The easiest way to do this is to install UIctl from installer.app, allowing you to start/stop services via the phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.