New macbook owner with a question or two

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16ghz White
Hello I ordered my new macbook today and it should be here on the 17th of this month. My first question is, is there a version of windows live messenger for mac's that allows me to use the i-sight and my second is will i be able to use my current Microsoft office without installing windows? i.e. will it run on mac? I don't think so but i gotta make sure.

Finally with a 13.3" macboook is the apple remote useful? BTW i usually spend most of the ime listening to music playin games and browsing the internet.

O 1 last question that i just remebered guys in the States probably wont be able to help me out but hopefully someone will know. I am currently playing football manager 2007 on the pc will I be able to bring my current save game acroos and play it? If not is there a converter that i can download for these save games?

Thank-you

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
aMSN will allow you to use the isight with an msn account in OS X.

i personally have never used the remote with my macbook. i guess if you used it as a jukebox occasionally, it might be useful.

can't answer the last one. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
But the microsoft messenger does not support iSight.

And as for using a remote with the laptop, its pretty much useless unless you are giving a Keynote presentation and maybe putting it to sleep.

One more thing. Before you jump into buying MS Office for Mac, try out Apple iWork. It costs just $80 and is much better than MS Office, at least in my opinion...

Reaction score
And as for using a remote with the laptop, its pretty much useless unless you are giving a Keynote presentation and maybe putting it to sleep.
definitely not true for anyone who watches movies on their computer. I hook my MB up to my TV, and the remote is a huge convenience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ Well like you said, you are hooking up the MB to a TV which is a different scenario altogether.

Reaction score
So can this aMSN be used in place of the "official" mac MSN? Are there any real drawbacks to using it? Does it do the same stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
amsn is ok for webcam, but it has a pretty lame interface and ain't got so many features. If you want an overall powerful IM client then choose adium but it has no webcam support. I've heard they'll be putting in webcam support in the near future

Reaction score
So why doesn't the offical version of Mac MSN have webcam support? I mean, you would think it would be standard already considering its been supported on PC's for how many years now.

Reaction score
I hardly ever use my remote unless I'm adjusting the volume on my macbook.

Enjoy your new macbook!!! :)

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
I use the remote all the time on my macbook pro becuase if i am browsing the web or something its much easier just to hit next on the remote then switching to itunes to change the song. Also i use it for the volume aswell as the keyboard and when i connect it to my tv i use it :p i think its very helpfull but it really depends how u use it.

Reaction score
ummm sorry gobimama but like i said i wouldn't suggest iworks because he wants to use msn like he said.... so with that in mind yeah his options is like i suggested unless he installs boot camp.....which i have never used
ummm also i hate to put down iworks 08 but pages isn't QUITE up to the MS word standard that most people have come used to... its good for fancying up stuff but its not quite up to snuff if I can say that for things like what a normal student might use it for. Numbers is neat but again excel is the way to go if your doing the real crunching on numbers like i do for school and stuff
although ill give iworks ONE THING and one thing only
it does have keynote which is lightyears away and ahead of power point in my opinion ....sorry for the rant but im sick of people who are like I WANNA GO ALL MAC and dont actually think about what they are actually using it for.... if you are a publisher or something i dont know and you need to have everything fancy then go for iworks08 if your a simple student and just need an essay done by monday.... go for MS OFFICE...someday in the future apple ...will probably be the way to go but not just quite yet...sure they are cheaper but thats cause they need to be competitve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I find iWork more than adequate for what I do. And there's nothing wrong with morty192 trying it out. He might not need to do all that number crunching that you do, and find it more than satisfactory. Have you given iWork an extensive run through? Cause I have in fact set books and so many newsletter with Pages, that I would never attempt with Word. Its got most of the features that we use and it is so simple to use.

And if he wants MSN messenger, he can download it for free, it doesn't only come with Office. Though it doesn't even come with webcam support...

And as for keynote, its not ONE THING. It is 33% of what iWork is...

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
ummm also i hate to put down iworks 08 but pages isn't QUITE up to the MS word standard that most people have come used to
*cough* the MS word standard?!:eek: surely you jest.
Goobimama, what you said...

Cause I have in fact set books and so many newsletter with Pages, that I would never attempt with Word. Its got most of the features that we use and it is so simple to use.

Oh, yes. Try to layout a book with Word. Hint: you can't. That's why you have MS Publisher. What most students use MS Word for is double-spaced text. Yay, I'm glad Word is the gold standard in that. Try anything with advanced layout and you see Word is an overpriced shambles of a word processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I remember once, we had tried to set a book in Word itself, cause Indesign wasn't around. There was no control for Widows and orphans, so we did everything and finally used paragraph returns in the end to weed out the orphans. Saved the doc. Opened it the next day and found that the whole thing had changed. Moved from one PC to another, and mysteriously, the number of pages changed! There's no "Standard" with Word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.