• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

what codec is my avi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" C2D 2.2Ghz SR 2GB RAM 128MB VRAM 120GB HDD
hey!

i can't get sound to work on my avi file, i tried the divx codec and still not working. how can i find out what codec it is using? i didn't find anything like "file info" or "document properties"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
try vlc video player. its agreat player and i prefer it to quicktime and divX

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i have vlc but i would like to be able to use frontrow to watch those movies, and i guess frontrow is based on the quicktime player? that's what i need the codecs for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
why do you want to use frontrow? for the full screen? because u can get that on vlc too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
why do you want to use frontrow? for the full screen? because u can get that on vlc too.

He already said he wanted to use frontrow. Lets just try and find a solution to his problem now. ;)

formatc1702, try downloading Perian.

http://perian.org/

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome! thanks for that tip!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.