Good place to buy a new HD? Also, how to migrate a system between discs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.0GHz. 2GB RAM
I have only a 60GB HD in my Macbook, and I'd like to pack around 160GB in it instead so that I can have a backup of my music collection, and so I can actually sync my iPod. Where's a good place to buy a HD upgrade?

Second, is there a way I could copy my system off of the 60GB and onto the new HD, whatever size it may be? I do have the install discs handy, but I have some other software that I'd rather not have to re-install (purchased with no installation media, bleh).

Reaction score
buy an external enclosure along with the new HD; put the new HD in the enclosure, use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old HD to the new one, and then swap the HDs. You will have a perfect copy of your old system on the new HD, and you can put the old HD in the enclosure for a nice portable drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
Newegg has some decent prices for Drives. I bought a 250 GB HDD from them with an enclosure as part of a package deal for $200. I put my new HDD in the enclosure and used SuperDuper to make a clone of my 60GB HDD, and then I just switched out the drives.

Reaction score
Newegg has some decent prices for Drives. I bought a 250 GB HDD from them with an enclosure as part of a package deal for $200. I put my new HDD in the enclosure and used SuperDuper to make a clone of my 60GB HDD, and then I just switched out the drives.

I did the same - except my new drive is only 160Gb and I already had a 320Gb Firewire drive as an itermediate drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano
I have also done the same thing as satetd above. Works out great. Try OWC. They have great deals and super fast shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.