• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Digital Animation and Video Basics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Can I take digital images (png files for instance) and assemble them as a movie? Is it easy?

The first part seems as if it should be an obvious yes, and the second does too. Take a bunch of sequential images, dump them into some tool (iMovie?), and voila, out pops a movie.

The images would be of uniform size, produced by tools I already have. No image manipulation would be required of the movie creation tool. Each movie would be a couple minutes long. No sound track would be required.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Apps like Adobe After Effects can import image groups, but you might want to try QuickMovie. It works very well, just be sure to press the "sort images" button. If there is a way to do this with Quicktime Pro alone, then it's beyond me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah, After Effects will do this. I would suggest using an image format like PICT as it will ultimately look better than a PNG in the final export.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PICT is just a container format which can have all sorts of compression. How will it look better than PNG... isn't that lossless?

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thank you everyone!

When I looked at Adobe After Effects I about choked on the price. Ah the joys of software, eh? While this will be for work, it's uh, sort of a skunk works project. Occasionally I do things people don't want and tell me explicitly NOT to do. I do them anyway and sometimes the results are used by lots of people, senior management included. Alternatively QuickMovie looks to be much more affordable. I've also looked at iMovie '06 and documentation on it, and that too might be an option.

At the very least I have access to ImageMagic, which supposedly allows creation of mpeg videos from single images assuming you have the needed plugins. Whether I can get the right plugins working through DarwinPorts on my Mac or not I don't know, but I'll try that. Alternatively I have ImageMagic on the Linux lab machines at work. I also get very good support from the system administrators at work, so if something isn't available or working I can get them to make it function.

I'd prefer to do all of it on my Mac. I've been immersing myself into the Mac, much as I did 10 years ago when I went to Linux. In the end I'll do it on whatever platform works, but if it were all on the Mac that would be Very Cool.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah. Quickmovie. Like I linked to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.