Some important q's from a soon to be switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac
Hello guys.. new to the forum and to macs and will be buying my first apple tomorrow. The mac pro is what I want, specifically for movie editing and video function support/speed, but I wont have the money for this machine. Here lies my first question.. will the new 24" Imac still be able to support editing with professional quality.. like using editing programs like fcp studio 2... the lady at the mac store said to get fc express but I dont really know what the difference is.. I just want the best with what I can work with, which will have to be on the Imac. I hope to edit film for actual indie movies and music videos..

2nd.. is it really nessisary to max out the ram to 4 gb in order to get the fastest speed with my editing.. or will 2 gb be enough?

Also.. i'm a student and am use to using word or abi word to transfer papers through e mail... is Iwork better or stick to office? I need something that doesnt lack spell check, ha!

Also, I have just recently read on this forum that there isnt a virus problem with macs.. that is crazy to me.. why is it so tough to make a virus for a mac os and so easy for windows? I'mm going to be shittin my pants surfing the net and d loading things without some sort of virus/spyware protection.. is it really true I dont need to worrie about that stuff? why would anyone stay on a windows pc if they could switch and be virus and spyware free?

Lastly, how much should I care about buying a computer before the leapord OS comes out... I fell like im getting ripped off knowing something new is coming out in 2 months... when instaling leapord after already having tiger, do you lose everything you had on the old OS? I never switched out a os, even on windows...

Any help would be great.. specially the ram/speed question for editing.. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Also, I have just recently read on this forum that there isnt a virus problem with macs.. that is crazy to me.. why is it so tough to make a virus for a mac os and so easy for windows? I'mm going to be shittin my pants surfing the net and d loading things without some sort of virus/spyware protection.. is it really true I dont need to worrie about that stuff? why would anyone stay on a windows pc if they could switch and be virus and spyware free?

I have not run an AV program on my Mac for 4 or 5 years now. I don't know if it "harder" to write a virus for OSX, but don't forget it is Unix based, so I suspect that has much to do with it. Then of course, there is the old "security through obscurity" argument as well. Bottom line, there are no nasties out there waiting to bite you as of yet, and even the few Mac AV apps don't scan for Mac viruses (since there are none) but simply look for Windows ones that may be sitting harmlessly on your drive or in your e-mail waiting to get passed on to your Windows using friends.

Apple is actually quite good at patching vulnerabilities as they are found, and software updates or security patches come almost monthly.

Why would anyone stay with Windows when there are all kinds of nasties out there? Lots of reasons actually.

Reaction score
I am too buying a Macbook but not a pro. Just one of the new ones with 13" screen. My main question is will it support Leaopard!? Will it run it? It is normal Macbook (with 2.0 ghz core 2 duo) but I will be upgrading to 2 gig.

When Leaopard comes out will we have to pay money for it (I know this might be obvious but it could have been a patch)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it will run Leopard fine. Everything from the G4 chip (some G3's even) on up will run Leopard. Expect to pay about $129 for Leopard when it's released.

Reaction score
Yes, it will run Leopard fine. Everything from the G4 chip (some G3's even) on up will run Leopard. Expect to pay about $129 for Leopard when it's released.

Oh thanks for the reply. I loved Leopard alot. It will probably be over $200 in Australia..oh well..I won't be able to upgrade straight away I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
iWork is easier to work with.

Try 2GB and see if things work well for you. If not, then upgrade to 4GB (recommended for video apps and such)

No viruses and adware (you can plug in a pen drive full of win viruses and nothing will happen)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
I also want to know if installing Leopard on a tiger system will wipe the system. My mom said she'd buy my a Macbook pro when I get straight A's this year (it's not until May 08) but we're going to the Apple store today to look at computers to see how fast they are etc. For some reason, she usually snaps under pressure when she sees my face light up so I might get a MBP today (I'm not a bratty begging kid). But if I DID get one today what should I expect when Leopard comes out if I want to switch. I have an external HD if that's what I'd need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It will not wipe the system. Click the option 'archive and instll' and all your stuff will be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Viruses and spyware and nothing 'mystical'. They are merely Windows programs that install themselves without your permission and cause unwanted effects.
Windows has always had vulnerabilities, such as the registry. Viruses like to write stuff the registry so that they can run on startup and hide themselves from being uninstalled. There are also browser issues - Internet Explorer isn't the most secure browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will not wipe the system. Click the option 'archive and instll' and all your stuff will be safe.

thank you! Good to know, another advantage of a Mac over a Windows machine.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac
so can I d load torrents and software and not have to worry about getting some virus.. dam thats amazing...

thanks for the reply's im about to go pick my comp up : )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uhhh macbook (black) 120gb HD 2gb Ram and a intel core duo processor at 2.o ghz
Mac Osx Hurahhhh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also want to know if installing Leopard on a tiger system will wipe the system. My mom said she'd buy my a Macbook pro when I get straight A's this year (it's not until May 08) but we're going to the Apple store today to look at computers to see how fast they are etc. For some reason, she usually snaps under pressure when she sees my face light up so I might get a MBP today (I'm not a bratty begging kid). But if I DID get one today what should I expect when Leopard comes out if I want to switch. I have an external HD if that's what I'd need.

You'll have 3 options, Update, Archive and Install or Format and Install.

Upgrade will simply upgrade your old system to the new version.

Archive and Install will install a brand new file system but will keep your profile intact and move it into that new system. Thus your settings, preferences and even desktop picture and custom icons will remain the same and be there when you restart. This will leave your old system on the drive for you to delete manually. This is the option I generally use.

Format and Install is pretty self explanatory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I didn't get one today. My mom asked the guy if he thinks it would stay pretty new for a while and he said "Well actuallyif you wait 2 months, you'll get OX Leopard, and my mom said, ok let's wait to get it for you at Christmas time fi you have straight A's so I cut a semester off of my wait time. I also want to add the playing with the MBP in the store was AWESOME!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.