Mac G4 wants a divorce!

Reaction score
My G4 MDD got an upgrade video card, was install and ran well for about 18 mo. when my Mac started crashing, found that the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Version cooling fan had locked up and graphics card was over heating and causing the crash. Installed the OEM card and sent ATI card off to be repaired. No other computer problems other than slow graphics. Well a while later I installed the replacement ATI card they sent me. Plugged my Apple Studio 17" Display in and restarted, startup fine, until I went to enter my user password the computer shut off, like pulling the plug!!! Push power button on front it begins to start then stops, hold button in and startup progesses for about 5 seconds then off again. Long story short, plug OEM card back in with ASD and she works fine, even plug a second monitor ( Mitsubishi 17" Diamond Point) in OEM card (which it supports) and I have lots of desktop, but when I try to start up on just the Mits it shuts down just like before and with repeated power button pushing I get barely a burp!
So at present the only way I can use my computer is with OEM card and OEM ASD monitor. Can't get Mits to run, or even the ATi card/ASD combo to work.

What would cause this, tried resets, pulling memory, pulling the only other card which is for SAT drives, still can not get MY G4 MDD to separate from the Apple Studio Display!
I ' m r e a l y p u z z l e d.

Any good suggestions on whats up with this relationship?:Confused:
The Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) video cards support simultaneously connected ADC and DVI displays (nVidia GeForce4 MX, GeForce4 Ti, and ATI Radeon 9000). Also supported are two ADC displays with the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter (sold separately) or one ADC and one VGA display (with included DVI to VGA adapter). Refer to technical document 33001: "Display Adapter Table" for more information on identifying video adapters.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well I thought my problem was unique, guess there aren't any suggestions, I will, I guess take it to Apple Store for some help, I only have the 2 monitors maybe a 3rd will shed some light?:Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.