• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Using MacbookPro as PVR

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I will be buying a Macbook Pro in Oct.
My question is can I record a TV show from a Satelite Receiver using the Dvi/Toslink outputs into the Macbook's digital inputs?

Does Apple have any software to help with this?
Could I just set the laptop to wake up at a certain time and would it see the Dvi/Toslink input signal active and store this info to a certain Folder?

This is the 3rd Forum I've asked this question because the other 2 gave me back no answers.
I will use the Macbook Pro as the brains of a Music/video hub system and I can't see buying a PVR when the laptop can do so much more!

thanks for your time,
Vance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you want to use your Mac to record TV - you will need a TV Tuner.
While there are a couple of others - Elgato is generally recognized as the leader in the field for Mac's. Their software is recognized as the best.

There really are only two options - the 'EyeTV Hybrid' or the 'eyetv 250 plus'.
Both of these have an analog and digital tuner built in. The Hybrid utilizes the CPU in your machine for encoding purposes, while the 250 plus has it's own built-in hadware encoder, thus taking some of the work load off your CPU.

You connection options will be:
1) antenna for your local over-the-air TV stations.
2) the coax cable from your cable / satellite provider - you will only be able to tune the same stations that your TV can tune in without their converter box.
3) from the converter box - using either composite (don't use this one) or s-video cable for the picture and connecting the standard RCA jacks for the sound

All of these connections are made to the Tuner which is connected to your Mac, not directly to the Mac.

The only Hi-def content you will be able to record will be from your local o-t-a stations. You will not get HD content froom your cable / satellite provider into your computer (at least not still in HD).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.