• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Screencasts and iMovie 08

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Wow.. frustrated!

I don't think / probably wouldn't normally use iMovie 08 to edit a screencast. But since it's new and all, I wanted to give it a try. To be honest, once you learn it, it's not bad. Some of the gripes people have are actually easy resolved. But anyways, on to my problem.

I decided to take a screen capture via SnapzPro X. Once I was finished recording the screens I wanted, I imported them into iMovie 08. Things are going well, I'm chopping and trimming clips (yeah you can do it! ) etc. About 3 hours go by, I'm finished editing, I play it in iMovie to make sure it works well. and it looks pretty decent. So I go to export it. I tried the settings for the new export options.

It worked... kinda, I exported the video and all I get is my transitions and titles. The actual screencast does not show up! I don't know what's going on, I've even encoded it with quicktime, exported the xml to finalcut, finalcut didn't see the transitions but it did see the screencast video.

So here is my question, does anyone know how to get the video to show up? It plays perfect in iMovie, but it's not exporting what I just edited. I'm really frustrated because everything else went so well, and after 3 hours of editing these clips all I get it black where the video should be and then transitions and titles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What codec did you use to export it from Snapz Pro?

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Shoot,

It saved it as an animation with the .mov extension. That might be part of the problem, but I'm not sure, I've used the same format many times before in iMove HD. I'll try to encode the video to something different to see if it'll fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, the animation codec seems a bit odd at times. It gives you great compression, but horrible performance in Final Cut Express. Plus, I've experienced 'streaking' in the video using it.

I'd go with H.264.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.