Google Earth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
I can successfully download and use Google Earth one time. Thereafter, the dock icon shows a "?" mark and the program will not open. This also happens some time with Quicktime. I have unchecked the section in Safari that will allow popups.

Can anyone help me?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does this happen on both your MBP and iMac? I have never had any issues with Google Earth running. Is it the latest version of Google Earth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I suspect the icon in the dock is pointing to the file which was in the virtual disk when you downloaded it. The disk will now be in the trash, so drag the icon out of the dock and replace it with the one in Applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Yeah, basically when you download something like that, it'll be on a virtual disk like Alexis mentioned. You need to drag it from that disk to the Finder somewhere, then trash/eject the disk. Keep the original in the Applications folder, then then drag it into your Dock. It'll work fine forever and ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
When you drag an application icon to the dock, it's not the actual application its an alias (or a shortcut) which your dragging to the dock. An alias different to a shortcut from windows because no matter where you put the original file, the alias will always locate it and open it.

Therefore I would guess that you did not install the application properly.

check out this thread to see how to correctly install applications: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75194&highlight=installing+applications

Reaction score
having trouble using GE

Can someone explain to me why whenever I open GE the tip of the day box comes up and will not go away? I cannot use the program at all as the tip of the day box is stuck there and will not allow me to close it.

I cannot even quit GE properly and have to use force quit.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Can someone explain to me why whenever I open GE the tip of the day box comes up and will not go away? I cannot use the program at all as the tip of the day box is stuck there and will not allow me to close it.

I cannot even quit GE properly and have to use force quit.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB

I had a similar problem until I went to the website and downloaded the update. The tip would come up, I could not do anything and the app froze. I had to force quit. When I went to the website and downloaded the newest version, everything went back to being fine. I can now turn off the tip and use the program. Maybe that is your problem as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.