iPhoto shows wrong thumbnails - how to fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hi everyone,

I have an odd problem with iphoto (the version previous to '08). The problem is two fold but related. FYI this is on a TiPB G4 766MHz.

If the icon size is small, iphoto shows the incorrect thumbnail. I don't know how it's picking the incorrect thumbnail, but it is.

If the icon size is just a touch larger it shows the correct thumbnail. Unless I scroll the window. While scrolling, the incorrect icon is shown. But when it's done scrolling, the true icons pops in.

So my guess is that while scrolling, iPhoto shows the smaller thumbnail version (most likely from a cache) so it responds/draws faster. Then when you stop scrolling, iPhoto reads the larger thumbnail and displays it.

I've restarted iPhoto while holding doen command and option, in order to rebuild all the caches. It took several hours haha. But, no change. The problem(s) still exist.

So, is there a way to manually delete the thumbnail caches from disk to force iPhoto to rebuild them?

Thanks in advance,
Jules

Reaction score
re thumnails

I have the same problem, but no one has told me how to fix the issue either, perhaps you figured it out already and would like to share the info.

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have the same problem on a iMac Intel 24" 2006 Mac OS Version 10.4.11. iPhoto shows the wrong pictures and also have problems with the albums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I'd delete the iPhoto .plist file in Preferences. If that didn't fix it, I'd do this:

To rebuild the iPhoto library:

Quit iPhoto if it is open.
Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
Open iPhoto.
Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

Reaction score
Same problem

I'd delete the iPhoto .plist file in Preferences. If that didn't fix it, I'd do this:

To rebuild the iPhoto library:

Quit iPhoto if it is open.
Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
Open iPhoto.
Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.

This is what caused my issue - played with a few of the problemed one - had to make a mod to the image, click done, then goto revert, and it would load the correct thumb from file… I have WAY to many - and iPhoto crashes on a complete rebuild, leaving many thumbs messed up or incorrectly assigned.

CHECK OUT THIS THREAD FOR A FIX: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/192114?start=0&tstart=0

Reaction score
iphoto thumbnails

I never could find the iphoto.plist file in preferences. The command-option-open with the library thumbnails rebuild worked great. Thank you so much. The techs at my school didn't know how to fix this, so I lived with it for four years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.