my very first mac ... suggestions

Reaction score
i finally switched. i have been planning on doing this for awhile but being a broke college student, i finally did. nothing major i bought an old g4 ibook off of a friend. its the 1.2ghz 384mb ram, 40gb hd....i just order a 500gb mybook external hard drive to use.

i was wanting to upgrade the ram to 1gb if possible...it seems like 384mb ram is just a weird number (usually its 128,256,512,1gb)....

dont ibooks only have 1slot for ram? can i buy 1gb of ram or just a 512mb? i wll be using this just for school and photoshop/itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb
i finally switched. i have been planning on doing this for awhile but being a broke college student, i finally did. nothing major i bought an old g4 ibook off of a friend. its the 1.2ghz 384mb ram, 40gb hd....i just order a 500gb mybook external hard drive to use.

i was wanting to upgrade the ram to 1gb if possible...it seems like 384mb ram is just a weird number (usually its 128,256,512,1gb)....

dont ibooks only have 1slot for ram? can i buy 1gb of ram or just a 512mb? i wll be using this just for school and photoshop/itunes

Congratulations on your first Macintosh.

The iBook you have has a maximum RAM size of 1.25gb (if i remember correctly).

Buying 1gb stick would be fine (make absolutely sure it is the right RAM for your Mac though, Corsair will give you info on the right RAM for your Mac if you buy from them (i did for my MacBook)

If you do buy some new RAM, information on installing it can be found here and here.

Best of luck, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask the forums.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
http://www.lowendmac.com/ibooks/12-120.html

Specs on your machine and type of RAM. It came stock with 256Megs soldered to the board and it looks like someone has added a 64Meg PC2100 to the Ram Slot. Yes, there is one slot and it takes a PC2100 Sodimm module up to 1GB for a total of 1.25GB like the other poster stated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.