Disk Defragmenting on a Mac

Reaction score
On windows u can defragment and do a disk cleanup. . .does a mac have something like this?. . or anytype of unharmful cleaning program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I'm no authority, but when I did a full defrag with this software iDefrag, my Macs were noticeably faster. I don't know how it is, but it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I'm no authority, but when I did a full defrag with this software iDefrag, my Macs were noticeably faster. I don't know how it is, but it is.

Same here.

Don't believe rhetoric of a company trying to sell you something. Even OSX needs manual defragmentation every now and then.

DiskWarrior's optimized directory also gives a noticeable boost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Same here.

Don't believe rhetoric of a company trying to sell you something. Even OSX needs manual defragmentation every now and then.
No offense, but I'll go with the guys who engineered the filesystem on this.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668
or perhaps some other guy who's actually looked into fragmentation on HFS+
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/apme/fragmentation/
DiskWarrior's optimized directory also gives a noticeable boost.
No, it usually doesn't, but if if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
Very informative Technologist....thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I'm telling you man. It does speed up. The full defragmenting puts all the applications at the start of the disk and does all that defragmenting which we see on PCs. My one year old iMac was running like a mad dog after doing a defrag and so was my iBook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
DiskWarrior appears to be a $99 package. That is a LOT of money for a utility whose speed up benefits appear to be in some question.

I would invite others who have DiskWarrior to comment. Do you observe a noticeable speed boost after running it? Are you also running other maintenance at the same time (such as OnyX)? Are you sure that the speedup comes from DiskWarrior and not other activities?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
DiskWarrior is mostly useful as a disk repair and data recovery tool. It's optimization features are of little use to most people, but that doesn't mean it's not useful.

I'm telling you man. It does speed up. The full defragmenting puts all the applications at the start of the disk and does all that defragmenting which we see on PCs. My one year old iMac was running like a mad [censored] after doing a defrag and so was my iBook...
Maybe it did, but it's like those "I lost 80 pounds in a week!" plans..."Results not typical." I would not suggest disk optimization on an HFS+ disk as a matter of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
What does Disk Warrior do besides optimize the directory? That's the only thing it ever does for me. Granted it has helped problems in the past, but I didn't know that fragmented directory data could be such an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.