using other system disc for password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
alright. so my friend bought an imac off ebay, but it didn't come with the discs, and he doesn't know the password. i know i can't use my macbook discs to reinstall os x on his system, but i was wondering if i could use the password reset on them in his imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I've not tried it, but it will most likely fail to boot the disc. What you should be able to do is attach the iMac with a FireWire cable to your MacBook and use the iMac in target disk mode. If you then boot up your MacBook from the discs it will allow you to re-install OS X on his HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can also pick up a retail copy of OS X. That will work on any system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
But better wait till leopard to do that :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Levi suggestion will not work, because the media for the MacBook does not have the needed binaries for the iMac. You will load the MacBook OS on the iMac, then when it comes time to boot it will ot be able too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Levi suggestion will not work, because the media for the MacBook does not have the needed binaries for the iMac. You will load the MacBook OS on the iMac, then when it comes time to boot it will ot be able too.

Providing it's an Intel iMac I don't see why it wouldn't work. The discs perform a hardware check when trying to install (which will pass because it's being booted on a MacBook), but the OS is the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.