Just a quick question...

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro for college, but I paid over $3000 for it, and I don't want to cart it around and risk losing/busting it, so I'm looking at used ibooks and macbooks on ebay. I have found a few that seem to fit my needs just fine (word processing, perhaps internet access, and portablity), but most of them are low on RAM (128 or 256). So my question is this: is it easy for a hardware novice like me to install an extra stick of RAM into one of these notebooks? I was able to pop one into my iMac (the ones with the moving screen and the round base) when I needed extra speed.

Oh, and what if I someday want to add one to my MacBook Pro?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
i have a G4 iBook, it came with 256mb ram, i installed another 512 about 3 months ago, really easy to install, all you have to do is remove the keyboard (which is done by two sliders on the keyboard itself) then the slot is just underneath, as for a Macbook im not entirely sure as i have not done this, but i think it is as simple but the slot is under the battery.

OP
T
Reaction score
i have a G4 iBook, it came with 256mb ram, i installed another 512 about 3 months ago, really easy to install, all you have to do is remove the keyboard (which is done by two sliders on the keyboard itself) then the slot is just underneath, as for a Macbook im not entirely sure as i have not done this, but i think it is as simple but the slot is under the battery.

Awesome, thanks. The best value I could find was a g4 ibook, so I think that's what I'm going to buy... And I will get a stick of 256 or 512 when I do.

Oh, and on eBay, it has lots of different RAM listings for the same type of computer. They are listed under different processing speeds, so I was wondering whether I have to buy a stick that corresponds to my specific processor, or if that was just some sort of trick...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.