Tiger - First impressions

M

Mac Apple

ok just wondering what sort of price they are gonna be selling tiger at?
I upgraded to panther in the new yr at the cost of £99 and now apple want us to pay for the next upgrade aswell? does that seem fair to everybody, i mean its not our fault if they couldnt release the OS with all these fancy features at the start is it?
oh well better start saving up i guess

laters

-=mac@pple=-

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The major upgraded are paid upgrades as in 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc. So 10.4 will be a paid upgrade. The incremental upgrade are free as in 10.0.1, 10.1.1. 10.2.3, 10.3.4, etc.

You don't have to upgrade. If you software is working just find, then why change?

V

vuschejan

witeshark said:
How can Apple have stolen Widgets when it was first made for OS 9? Anyway - if the info I get is off or faked how is that my fault? As to Tiger, that's why it's not yet out I guess

To the encyclopedias!!!! jk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
hype.it said:
"It's a lot more than we'd ever anticipated," said 31-year-old Silicon Valley native Arlo Rose, who with his business partner, Perry Clarke, cooked up the idea during long lunch breaks when they were both employed at Sun Microsystems. "The idea behind it was to come up with a little utility to let you do whatever you wanted to with little or no programming experience."

If the above quotation is true... and both Arlo Rose & Perry Clarke was employed by Sun Microsystems. By means of employment, they both signed a "Contract of Employment." Then I would have to tell you this... the 'Widgets' technology would be owned by "Sun Microsystems".

Why? Because under most terms of employment, especially those involving development, computer and technology there is one sections that states something like "during the term of employment any technology developed or produce during employment will remain the property of blah blah blah" in this case "Sun Microsystems"

But this contract of employment rule changed from company to company. If Sun Microsystems were a wise bunch of people they would have enlisted this sort of rule in their employment contract.

No. Sun has no claim to the original technology. As you said, employment contracts may have clauses in them like you've suggested, but I can almost guarantee that said contracts will not have a clause that says 'any idea conceived while employed becomes the property of xxx inc'. Your quote only says that Rose thought of the idea while employed at Sun, not developed.

I

iSheep

Great review Osiris22x, it sounds as good as it looks to me!

You guys don't know how lucky you are, I'm on Windows.

B

blueturtles

WHO CARES where it came from? point is it's available and easy to use. why are you all so angry? no such thing as original anymore guys. ideas come out everywhere. it's a matter of which company does something about it first in terms of marketing. that's life. if everything were fair none of us would have a chance at being a millionaire.

i think TIGER is awesome. i've had no problems with it so far and i trust that it'll stay this way (will let y'all know if something should happen). If you don't like it, it's probably cuz your expectations were very high. that's still a good thing for apple (ah the brilliance of the marketers in apple).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
this sure is one old thread!

And im sure when longhorn comes out and its got dashboard in it (albeit with a different name) and expose, Mac users sure to be annoyed when m$ take away another reason to switch

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Graeme43 said:
this sure is one old thread!

And im sure when longhorn comes out and its got dashboard in it (albeit with a different name) and expose, Mac users sure to be annoyed when m$ take away another reason to switch

Longhorn's widgets will be called cow chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
iWhat said:
Longhorn's widgets will be called cow chips.

Longhorn's widgets will give you widget fever.

Longhorn's widgets will be very similar to Tiger's with different names and a little change in looks :)

Not that its bad for people who are gamers :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.