iPhone 2G/3G

Reaction score
I bought an iPhone and am very happy with except for the slow EDGE network. I'm not too familiar with the cell phone network terminology, so could someone explain to me what the iPhone is (2G or 3G) and if in the future the data connection will be faster? I read the Wikipedia article and from what I read, it seems that in a "future version" of the iPhone, things will be faster. Does that mean actual versions of the phone itself, or will firmware updates cure this? I'm truly happy with the phone, but when you have such a nice phone that takes an eternity to load a website when you're not connected to Wi-Fi, it sort of defeats the purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I bought an iPhone and am very happy with except for the slow EDGE network. I'm not too familiar with the cell phone network terminology, so could someone explain to me what the iPhone is (2G or 3G) and if in the future the data connection will be faster? I read the Wikipedia article and from what I read, it seems that in a "future version" of the iPhone, things will be faster. Does that mean actual versions of the phone itself, or will firmware updates cure this? I'm truly happy with the phone, but when you have such a nice phone that takes an eternity to load a website when you're not connected to Wi-Fi, it sort of defeats the purpose.

There's actually nothing really wrong with Edge for most things... it's just AT&T's Edge network that's completely awful. But you're right, the non wi-fi connection on the iPhone is nothing short of diabolical.

Subsequent generation iPhones may have 3G, but this depends on AT&T... not Apple.

OP
T
Reaction score
There's actually nothing really wrong with Edge for most things... it's just AT&T's Edge network that's completely awful. But you're right, the non wi-fi connection on the iPhone is nothing short of diabolical.

Subsequent generation iPhones may have 3G, but this depends on AT&T... not Apple.

So there's a possibility that AT&T might get things sped up on their end? I would hate to be regretful of this iPhone if the next generations are much faster. You would think that with a carrier so big as AT&T would have the best to offer. Oh and another question, what's everybody paying for their bill? I took a look at mine and it seems like for the lowest plan, I'll have to pay somewhere in the low $80 range. I was hoping for a little less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My first bill was like a $190. There was an activation fee, plus 2 months of service. It is somewhere close to $80 for a month with taxes and such.
But having internet and Mac Forums everywhere I go is certainly worth that.
Bryan

OP
T
Reaction score
My first bill was like a $190. There was an activation fee, plus 2 months of service. It is somewhere close to $80 for a month with taxes and such.
But having internet and Mac Forums everywhere I go is certainly worth that.
Bryan

I very much agree, just if that internet actually worked a little faster to where I don't need to go make a sandwich each time a page is loading haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
So there's a possibility that AT&T might get things sped up on their end? I would hate to be regretful of this iPhone if the next generations are much faster. You would think that with a carrier so big as AT&T would have the best to offer. Oh and another question, what's everybody paying for their bill? I took a look at mine and it seems like for the lowest plan, I'll have to pay somewhere in the low $80 range. I was hoping for a little less.

I don't think AT&T will improve their Edge network, more likely they'll go to somethign more like 3G, making current gen iPhones incompatible.

T-Mobile's Edge network is far better than At&T's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.