Riven/Myst

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro and iPad2
Quite some time ago I used to enjoy Riven (which I ran with O/S 7.5, as I recall) and later Myst. Are there any similar games now on the market which will run satisfactorily on an Intel iMac? I understand that a patch is available for Myst V End of Ages but it only facilitates installing Myst V on an Intel computer - Myst V still runs(poorly) with Rosetta.

M

MacHeadCase

Myst was the first instalment in the series, Riven, the second. As for Myst End of Ages, I bought when it came out and had so much difficulties playing the game, that I gave up after a month or so of trying to find a solution. I have a PowerPC iMac btw so not exactly your exact problem but fwiw I wouldn't give Ubisoft any money and would never mind the game. The part I got to play was a great disappointment story-wise and it was just a in-your-face look-at-all-the-3D-pizzaz-we-can-now-put-in-a-game exercise and the series had gradually lost its soul after Riven anyway, imo.

If you absolutely must buy this game, your best bet would be to take a look at the Ubisoft gamer forum. They should let you know about playing it on an Intel-based Mac. But a word of warning: help to Mac users is pretty iffy at best. For my problem I even went and posted in the Apple Discussions where other Mac users were having the same trouble I was: Ubisoft was pretty clueless when I posted there.

In case you're curious, the problem I had was that the game itself had very poor support for Macs using ATI video cards and you could only get to play it with all textures and effects at the lowest setting (my graphics card has 128 MB!). Ubisoft made it quite clear they would not release a patch for Macs (PowerPC back then), that the support had reached End of Life as they put it, all the while churning out patches for Windoze. It was quite obvious to me that Ubisoft couldn't care less about Mac users, the very same they had done in the past.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The general market for adventure games of this type has been extremely poor for several years now, no matter what your OS of choice happens to be.

Myst was basically the premier (graphics wise) game of the genre and one of the last of the breed. The move from purely adventure games went to games like Tomb Raider - the Action/Adventure stuff - the KingKong game for the 360 could be considered in this vein.

Have personally played almost all of them that came out between the early to mid 80's and the Myst series. We've had to take a back seat the last few years with just not much out there for us. Have been on the Mac side for less than a year. But, even on the Windows side, sadly, I have not seen a true adventure game for quite some years it seems like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.