Connect MacBook (w/ Parallels) to MS Windows Server 2003???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
At my office EVERYONE (myself included) is on PC's running Windows XP, each PC connects via Ethernet to the Server which is running MS Windows Server 2003.

I would like to use my MacBook to connect to the server, and thus be able to access the pictures, files, etc on that server... Our Contact management software is Windows based, so I would use Parallels with Xp to conquer that issue.

When I unplug the Ethernet cable from my PC in my office, then plug it into my MacBook, I am able to access the web... I can also go to Finder>Network> and see the different PC's in our offices listed (Sales1, Sales2, Shipping1, Accounting3, etc...)... but when I try to connect to any of them... I get an error about "Alias not found.. do you want to fix, remove, ok"

In the end I would like to plug in my macbook(INSTEAD of the current PC), using Parallels, then be able to go to "Start" >> "My Computer" and see/access the 6 or so Network Drives that are on the Server.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
RIDE, use Remote Desktop Connection directly. You don't need to install Windows at all. I do it all the time. Additionally you can exchange files between your Mac and your Win2003 server! No joke. It actually works.

RDC is a free download from Windows, and is in the Office for Mac 2004 package. While the info at the Windows site suggests RDC won't work with the Intel Macs, it works just fine.

I'm at work but I have Pidgin (AIM) running. Tonight I'll be out for a bit. In any case, if you need any assistance I can help you get set up. It's pretty easy and painless! PM or IM me, or email me (I believe you have my email address).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
On some shares I see that problem. On others I do not. Does it do that for all of them?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.