dmg files and ejecting programs?

Reaction score
How does this concept work.

For example I have downloaded MSN and VLC, installed them and they work. But the dmg files have been left. Do I delete these or not? I thought they were just the install file but the mac can't delete them because they're in use - I currently have them in the trash can. If they don't go there then were do they go. I don't want these (and many others in the future to clog up the desktop.

Also when I open some projects a disk icon comes up and I get the option to 'eject it' (VLC has it now).

Sorry, mac newbie not understand how this works. I guess I'm not used to not having a program files folder.

Thanks for help in advance.

Felix

Reaction score
the problem is that you're not installing the applications properly. You're probably trying to run them off of the disk icon. What you should do is open up the disk icon, and copy the application from the disk into your applications folder. Then you can eject the disk icon, delete the .dmg file, and run the application from your applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Those aren't the programs that you're "ejecting."

They're volumes a.k.a. drives.

Let me explain how installing an app typically works:

An application/program will come in a disk image: a DMG file.

When you open the DMG file, it mounts as a volume.

This volume shows up on your Desktop. Inside this volume is the app.

But you should not open the app inside the volume! (This might be what you did.)

You should drag the app out of the volume (which makes a copy of it).

You can put it anywhere you want, but it's best to put it in Applications.

After this is done, you can eject the volume. You can delete or keep the DMG file. (I usually keep it "in case.")

Then you can open the app (which is now "directly" on your hard drive, not inside the disk image).

You can also add it to the Dock if you wish.

So to sum up, this is basically what you do:

installing_an_application_1.png

installing_an_application_2.png

installing_an_application_3.png

installing_an_application_4.png

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes, I think I understand now. The DMG files are like the self-extractors and installshield etc. And you just drag/drop the file to application. In effect you don't install the program because it's self contained. Thanks.

Felix

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.