How do I tell if I have the Santa Rosa Chipset?

Reaction score
I just purchased an open box MBP. It's the $1,999 model that came standard with a 2.2Ghz 2Gb Ram and the nVidia graphics card. I'm guessing this is the new model, but can't figure out how to tell if it's the Santa Rosa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i can't be sure on this, as i don't have a santa rosa comp. but i'm pretty sure right on the about this computer, under the apple, it should tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
It's the new ("Santa Rosa") one.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
Does that mean I do? When I look at About this Mac it doesn't say Santa Rosa, so I wasn't sure.

Reaction score
santa rosa

earlier model was 2.16 ghz now santa rosa has 2.2 ghz and old one uses ati graphic card and new one's "santa rosa" uses nvidia and also fsb in old one is 667 and new santa rosa has 800 fsb
i hope this much is enough for u

Reaction score
santa rosa

santa rosa is code name for new chipset which is also known as centrino pro

centrino duo
centrino core 2 duo
centrino pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Nowhere will it say Santa Rosa as it is just a code name. Your new MBP should be a Santa Rosa one. To check the model (not for Santa Rosa though), put off all lights, and make a completely black picture fullscreen. If the screen is evenly lit, then it is an LED backlit one which also means it is the Santa Rosa one..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
santa rosa is code name for new chipset which is also known as centrino pro

centrino duo
centrino core 2 duo
centrino pro

Santa Rosa (the code name for the 4th generation of of the Centrino program; branded as Centrino Duo or Centrino Pro depending on which specific components are used) isn't a chipset; it's the name for a group of components.

A Centrino Duo/Pro laptop must include a "Santa Rosa" processor, "Santa Rosa" Wi-Fi card and a "Santa Rosa" graphics chip, which the MacBook Pros don't have.

The processor in the new MacBook Pros is the T7700 (2.4GHz; I believe the 2.2GHz is the T7600); a part of the "Merom" family, which is the name for Core 2 Duo processors developed for mobile platforms. It just so happens that those chips have been chosen to be included in the "Santa Rosa" specification... they're not a new class of chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The main benefits are supposed to be due to the 800Mhz FSB and the downclocking of the same during idling time... aren't they? Apparently the battery life has increased by half an hour in most cases...

One would be worried that one got a Santa Rosa MBP cause those are the only ones with the LED display...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.