windows on a powerpc g3 ibook

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot with computers for years, but know NOTHING about macs. I recently got one for my girlfriend. I was wondering if there was a way to put Windows on it. Processor speed is 600mhz, its got 128mb of ram, a 20gb hdd and uses os 10.2 jaguar. I know most of what there is to know about windows if that will help me at all here, but I don't know if installing it on here is possible and if it is, I have no idea how to do it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Impossible. Windows runs on X86 CPU's. All Macs up till 2 years ago are Power PC. Power PC will not run X86 code just like X86 CPU's will not run OS's designed for a Power PC CPU.

Sorry.

I would upgrade the RAM and install OSX 10.3 Panther or 10.4 Tiger if you get the CDROM version of Tiger.

Reaction score
It's not impossible, but I wouldn't recommend it. You could use virtualisation software such as Virtual PC, this would run Windows on top of OSX. It would be very slow and probably unusable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You recently bought a 600mhz computer for your girl? What did she do wrong?? We have a 677 TiPB and it's absolutely painful to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It's not impossible, but I wouldn't recommend it. You could use virtualisation software such as Virtual PC, this would run Windows on top of OSX. It would be very slow and probably unusable.

It will need 256MB of RAM minimum. Performance would be truly horrible, even with a thread-bare XP install.

To the OP, your GF may truly love that Mac if it is allowed to run the way it was intended. Buy 512MB of RAM for a total of 640MB and if possible install Panther, which will be the optimum for this machine (Tiger may be a little sluggish).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.