how does a vCard work? (before I send one)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I want to send someone a bunch of my contacts. They are in a smartgroup, in Address Book. I can't figure out how to easily get them in the email. Dragging and dropping doesn't work (I only get the name not the email addy and I need both. Exporting to a vCard seems like the right idea, but what will she be getting? I exported it to my desktop but when I click on it, it opens up address book and asks to start importing them. Assuming she doesn't have a Mac or address book, what will it look like or how will it work for her?

Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

If at the receiving end, your friend uses a Mac, all she has to do is drag the vCards to her desktop and doubleclick on them: this will launch Address Book which will add the cards with the rest of her contacts.

Oh and I have just tried this and I can confirm that dragging and dropping a vCard directly in a new email will add it as an attachment.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited to add:

Oops! I forgot to say that once inserted in the Address Book, the vCard will show exactly the same info and look the same as you see in your own Address Book.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HI MHC!

How are you? Thanks for the help. Can you tell me what would happen if she doesn't have address book? I have to assume that she doesn't have it. Will it automatically find what she uses?

TIA. :)

M

MacHeadCase

Hi! Long time no see, Becky! I'm not bad, how about you?

I guess your friend uses Windoze? I've heard that they can use vCards too in certain apps but I really can't tell you which ones nor what they get to see on their end. Someone else would be more suited in replying to that question, sorry. :)

Reaction score
im almost certain that vCards work in the contacts part of outlook. I think you just have to drag them in there and they add themselves

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, I sent it to her, hopefully she will tell me if it didn't work. :) Thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.