Is this possible?

T

todd51

It's not a big deal, but I found a few extra hard drives I have laying around unused. My plan is to take one of the internal IDE drives and put it in an external bay.

Then I would want to install Windows XP on the external and have it run with bootcamp on my MBP. I don't want to touch my MBP's internal hard drive partition. I would rather run a few older PC games off of an external drive. I think this may be possible since the drive is really an internal one, just in an external bay. However, I'm looking for some advice on how to go about this, or if it just won't work. :Oops:

Any tips?

Thanks!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I don't think it will work. Windows insists on being installed in the first partition of the first hard drive of the machine. Unless someone knows some way to fool it, this will stop your otherwise excellent plan from working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
By "external bay" I'm going to assume you mean an external enclosure that's connected via Firewire or USB. Unfortunately, Boot Camp doesn't allow you to boot from an external drive, so your plan is doomed to fail from the start.

Now if this were a second hard drive connected internally, the plan would work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.