Losing hard-drive space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
I have "secure empty trash" at least 10 gb of data over the past week, but i am not getting any of my hard-drive space back on my Macbook Pro. i had 23 Gb left on my hard-drive, and now its down to 13 Gb, but i have deleted alot of data (at least 10 Gb) and i am not getting any hard drive space back. i have boot camp installed and file vault turned on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I was waiting to see if anyone using File Vault would reply but I see that no one has. So, I will ask a secondary question. Does File Vault create an encrypted virtual volume, or does it simply encrypt on the fly?

If an encrypted virtual volume your file deletions would impact the contents of that volume, but the size of the volume would stay the same. Hence OS X would report no net savings in actual disk space.

Is this possibly the issue? I don't use File Vault so I cannot say.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
i am not sure. on my powermac G5 i have filevault also turned on and everytime i should down the machine it prompt's me for vilefault (skip or continue), so i always hit "continue" and it does its thing and then powers down. However on my Macbook Pro it has never prompted me and i have file vault turned on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I hate FileVault. It took up a ton of valuable space on my machine and since it's unneccacery for me I turned it off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.