Cheap way to connect my iPod to my old Mustang

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have a 1965 Mustang with a Custom Autosound aftermarket stereo and 6 disc CD changer (in the trunk). I think I'm about done messing around with CDs, so I need to get my iPod connected(wired, no FM).

The manufacturer offers a kit for a mere $109, but I was thinking there must be a cheaper way. The plug to the head unit is a 8-PIN DIN plug currently used for the CD changer.

Does anyone know where I can get a iPod adapter with this kind of connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Would something like this (CLICK!) work for you?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That might do the trick. The only other thing I could find was a kit that promised to work with almost any stereo and was $150. Most kits seem to be manufacturer-specific and have some kind of little box between the stereo and iPod connection.

I'm a little hesitant, because if that's all you need for $20, how would anyone get away with selling $100+ "kits". Maybe those little boxes facilitate some kind of interface to make using the stereo to control the iPod possible. In my case, I would be fine controlling the iPod directly to save that much money.

If anyone else out there is knowledgeable about this sort of thing, please drop some knowledge on me so I don't waste money on a cable that won't work.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
aren't there just rca plugs on the back for the changer? if so, you could simply get a Y cable with rca jacks on one end and a 1/8" headphone plug on the other; get behind the dash to plug the rca end in and then leave the jack somewhere like your glove compartment or console.

oh, n/m, i just saw your kind of adapter...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
That might do the trick. The only other thing I could find was a kit that promised to work with almost any stereo and was $150. Most kits seem to be manufacturer-specific and have some kind of little box between the stereo and iPod connection.

I'm a little hesitant, because if that's all you need for $20, how would anyone get away with selling $100+ "kits". Maybe those little boxes facilitate some kind of interface to make using the stereo to control the iPod possible. In my case, I would be fine controlling the iPod directly to save that much money.

If anyone else out there is knowledgeable about this sort of thing, please drop some knowledge on me so I don't waste money on a cable that won't work.

If you are sure that you need the "8-PIN DIN" plug then I'm fairly sure that cable will do exacty what you want.... You could also ask the Mfg. that you mentioned if you can SEE the kit before you by it... then look to see if this is cable is what they are using to make the connection.

When you press the "Input" (or whatever your syereo refers to it as) does it scroll to an "Aux" or "line"?... If so, this is what you would select once your iPod is connected.

It would NOT shock me to know that a company is charging over $100 for a "kit" that is basicly just a $20 cable.... I would not be shocke at all.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like the wire along will do the job as far as I can tell. The only difference between the $20 wire and the $100+ kits is that I won't be able to control the iPod from my stereo or see what's playing on the stereo display.

I'm going to give that cable a shot. I've wasted $20 on worse things and I can always add it to my impressive collection of strange wires boxed up in my closet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
It looks like the wire along will do the job as far as I can tell. The only difference between the $20 wire and the $100+ kits is that I won't be able to control the iPod from my stereo or see what's playing on the stereo display.

I'm going to give that cable a shot. I've wasted $20 on worse things and I can always add it to my impressive collection of strange wires boxed up in my closet.

last post for the night, but is one of these your radio? becuase most of them just have aux input which then you would be able to use the standard RCA to 1/8" jack from radio shack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I know you mentioned no FM, but there's a good cheap option that you're missing:

A hardwired FM modulator.

It's a Y-type jack that goes in-between your antenna and the Radio, and 'broadcasts' the music on an unused band...but the audio quality is near-line-in, since there's no radio waves being transmitted. Should cost you less than $30 at circuit city (or the like), and works with every car stereo that has an antenna jack.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
last post for the night, but is one of these your radio? becuase most of them just have aux input which then you would be able to use the standard RCA to 1/8" jack from radio shack.

That is the company that made my stereo (unfortunately I later found out they are terrible!!) but mine is an older model that I'm almost positive does not have an aux jack.

If the DIN cable doesn't work, I'll probably look into the hardwire antenna option.

Thank again for your help everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.