os9.1 and browser problem

Reaction score
hello my friend has a mac with 9.1 os and ie5 for mac
he is having problem with yahoo main page that advice him he has to upgrade his browser
can he get an upgrade with os9.1 and if someone can provide a link

Reaction score
Your friend can download updates here, taking the system to 9.2.2.

An article entitled Web Browser Tips for the Classic Mac OS is here, at lowendmac.com, a site loaded with stuff that might help.

Internet Explorer might never work properly. Other browsers to try are WaMCom's Mozilla 1.3.1 (fourth link under the Download headline) and iCab for OS 8.5 and 9.

Reaction score
Sorry to say but Yahoo wants you to use browsers that only work in OS10 to
see the full home page, I like the cut done page myself,don't care to see all those ads and other flash junk.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for the help Brown Study
i downloaded and instaled the icab it allowed me to login to yahoo but it was extremly slow fortunatly i found the OSX upgrade in his original disks so i just instaled it but ie5 still do not work and when i try to download the safari from yahoo site ie crashes and closes
and if i go to the apple site ie5 frezes when i try to go to the download section
maybe i should restore to 9.1 and then do the x
any help would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
You don't need to reinstall 9.1 before installing OS X. They are two distinct systems.

Safari is included in the OS X install disks, so you shouldn't have to download it. Once OS X is installed, use Software Update in the System Preferences to update Safari, if it needs it.

IE for Mac is the worst of the worst browsers you could use. It hasn't been updated for OS X for five years or so — Microsoft abandoned it for Mac — and IE was a bad choice even for OS 9.

With OS 9, I use WaMCom's Mozilla 1.3.1 with the most recent Flash and other plug-ins that are available, along with other tweaks to the browser, and have only a few problems with the occasional sites that use newer versions of JavaScript and Flash that OS 9 can't use.

But if you can avoid OS 9 and use OS 10.2 at the very least — but preferably a newer version of OS X — do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Mozilla has a System 9 version.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for all your help guys
i have managed to upgrade to osx with the supplied disk
and upgraded as i was prompted
i do not have safari instaled and i can not download the safari3beta
i have managed to download a safari -102.dmg and a ff2.0.6.dmg files and saved them to my desktop but i do not know how to install them
where do you save these when you download and how do you install them afterward

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
In your utilites folder shoudl be "Disk Utlities.app" - you could use that to mount the DMG file.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks giulio but i do not know how to do this
i am having a problem downloading any of the browsers for osx
for example when i go to firefox page it does not show me the link to download but tells me that ff2 is not compatable with os9

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.