• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Lucky Kid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
well, persistance pays off

for one, i applaud him. unlocking phones is not illegal so i support this awesomeness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It's not luck.... It's talent.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
It's not luck.... It's talent.

I take it back it is talent not luck.. he deserves even more.... Apple should of given him a silver lamborgini with the apple logo LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
well, persistance pays off

for one, i applaud him. unlocking phones is not illegal so i support this awesomeness.

Unlocking phones for personal use is not illegal, but exchanging unlocked phones for "financial gain" (selling a phone for more than it's worth due to it being unlocked by means other than those offered by the service provider) is actually supposedly illegal. If AT&T wants to, they can press the issue and bring legal charges against the teen and the company. Sometimes bragging isn't the best idea.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The question is how soon will there be a patch available to fix the hack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
It's crazy how much time he must have spent doing that. While hacking is looked down upon (and rightfully so in some cases) he's basically helping people out.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Well he did financially gain.. a car a 3 8gb IPHONES....
What I dont get is why the cell company made their trade so public... I think the cell company buying it is major illegal no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Apparently, the kid will also train a couple of [older] people to do the hack on an iphone. So i guess thats a pretty fair trade. But im stuck as to why the cell company wants the hack so badly? I mean the they wont be able to sell it (illegal). Anyway the phone isnt even worth $600, let alone a 350z :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
in reality, apple can only gain from this...att loses customers but apple still sells iphones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
The Kid got ripped off!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 Ghz 12 core Mac Pro (5.1 flash) High sierra
Wait, if the iPhone can only be used through iTunes and therefor with AT&T, then how is this a benefit? don't you lose some of the features if the phone is not on the AT&T network? How would the browser work? I admit I'm not a computer guru, but I am even more interested in getting one if I can unlock it. I am not fond of AT&T for philopolitcal whatever reasons. Plus it seems counter productive to release such an innovative new device on such a slow network. something else afoot for later on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The question is how soon will there be a patch available to fix the hack?

And then all of those hacked phones will be very expensive bricks.

I'd recommend that anyone who does this never bother to install an iPhone update from Apple...ever...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
Ugh should've gotten a Mazda Rx-8. 350Zs closest competitor. If you meet shallow women who like your car, what do you do when you want to take them to your place? The Rx-8 has 2 extra seats.... sorry....a bit off topic........ BIG Mazda fan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope that wasn't the company's opening offer. They probably could have gotten away with just trading the guy the 3 iPhones.

Now if the kid was really smart, he would have asked for some kind of loyalty-type payment from whatever profits they make. That would be a smart kid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
And then all of those hacked phones will be very expensive bricks.

I'd recommend that anyone who does this never bother to install an iPhone update from Apple...ever...

The hack is immune to the updates. So each time u plug it into itunes, itll update fine without bricking ur phone.

I hope that wasn't the company's opening offer. They probably could have gotten away with just trading the guy the 3 iPhones.

Now if the kid was really smart, he would have asked for some kind of loyalty-type payment from whatever profits they make. That would be a smart kid.
If the cell company sells the hacked phones, im 100% sure that ATT will take some legal action against them, as that is completely illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the cell company sells the hacked phones, im 100% sure that ATT will take some legal action against them, as that is completely illegal.

Yeah that's what I don't get. From what I've read on unlocking, it's ok to unlock for personal use, with some limitation, but unlocking to resell at a premium is supposed to be out-and-out illegal. I'm not sure about selling unlocking software. I think that's legal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
That's what all the challenges are right now...according to law, it's ok to unlock for personal use...however, there is no legal instance of it being illegal or legal to sell them. We're going to see a ruling in the coming months on this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook | iPod
Just curious... is it ok for the company to sell instructions on how to unlock the phone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.