Website(s) loading speed factors...

Reaction score
I am trying out web publishing & trying to learn bits n pieces of it. One thing I have noticed is that some personal websites load rather slower compared to others. I am sure its not my connection problems.

So was wondering what factors have I got to look at & consider to get an idea of the loading time of a page?

Thanks.;D

Reaction score
How much graphics, text, videos, etc... and how big they are results in slower load times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Being human, there are other factors that appear to be 'speed' but are not. A lot of it has to do with perception...

If a page replies instantly and continues to render, it may appear faster. However a page that fully downloads first, THEN renders, is actually faster.
So if you have a rather large page, you may want to send it out in increments with the PHP "flush()" command or the CFML "<cfflush>" tag.

So why does this actually take longer?
* You're making the parser to stop what it's doing to send out parts.
* The web server must send out the parts.
* Your computer must get the parts.
* Your browser re-renders the page with every new part.
... in other words, you're wasting a lot of CPU all over the dang place. But it's worth it - because we are serving to humans, not stopwatches.

Another thing is complex tables, opacity, image types, image compression ratios, and of course, file sizes.

A long time ago, it was a tough game. You'd compress your images a lot so they'd be smaller and transmit faster. However you'd have to think of the slow computers back then. It might take longer to decmpress the image and draw it to screen than it would take to simply download a larger image!
Times have changed... CPUs are monsters compared to back then.

Complex tables take more CPU to render. So do a lot of DIVS with mucho CSS. Tableless designs are not the answer.

Using Opacity on CSS or IE's alpha filter will take a performance hit as well. Looks cool though.

Some image types take longer to render. Gifs are the quickest. It's probably not conceivable to the naked eye. But if you have lots of images on a page it might be a consideration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Oh, and once you decompress something, it how takes up a lot of ram/storage. Making everything slower.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.