Noob questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook, 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 1 Gb RAM, 80 Gb harddrive
Hello everyone! After roughly a year of mulling over switching... here I am with my shiny new Macbook (2 days old!) and I'm utterly in love with this brilliant little machine. :)

While I've been able to find a wealth of information on the web to answer my various questions and guide me through the transition, there are a few items that I just cannot seem to find THE answer on...

Granted I haven't had the need to yet, but if I want to uninstall an application and there is no uninstall option what is the best way to do so? I've found answers from dragging it to the trash, Appzapper, Appdelete, and I don't know.

I know I cannot rename my shortname/user folder without either a special 3rd party app whos name escapes me at the moment or a whole lot of trouble. However, can I rename my harddrive itself (as in the one on my desktop) without problems? I'm not feeling particularly adventurious as I'm still learning the OS.

And the silliest question of them all... all the billion times I was in the Apple store before purchasing, if I moused over the dock the icons for the apps zoomed out a bit as I moused over yet one. However, the icons on my dock do not do that. Trival but I found it charming in the store. What makes that happen? I'm guessing it's once there are enough icons on the dock to warrent horizontal scrolling? (taking a blind shot in the dark there)

I feel a burning need to find out every bit of information however trival or tiny that I can so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and extremely happy to join the ranks! :)

Reaction score
1. If an app doesn't include its own uninstaller or special instructions for uninstalling, just dragging it to the trash is enough. All appzapper/appdelete do is find and delete the little preference files that applications leave behind. Leaving them there is just fine.

2. Renaming your harddrive is fine

3. go to Apple menu -> Dock -> Turn magnification on

T

todd51

Welcome to the forums!

As far as deleting applications, yes dragging them from the Applications folder to the trash is just fine. If your like me though, I like to just search for the application under Spotlight (CMD+Space) and delete all the unnecessary folders and files that go with it. Just be careful not to delete anything that's important to the system!

Someone can back me up on this since I haven't done it yet. I do not believe renaming the hard drive icon makes a difference. As far as I'm concerned, name it whatever you want!

If you want the "magnification" effect for the icons in the dock, simply go to the blue apple icon in the upper left corner, and select System Preferences. Then click Dock, and check-mark the Magnification part. You can also move the slider to make the icons bigger when your mouse hovers over them.

Have fun!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook, 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 1 Gb RAM, 80 Gb harddrive
Wow that was a quick! lol

Thank you very much for the information and the welcome! That did the trick. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
For uninstalling apps that have their own uninstallers just drag them to the trash is fine, but there are some little files that they left behind, so i use appzapper and i love it, zap!
Also a very good app to do that if u dont like to leave those files on ur HD, like me, is the AppTrap, good and free.
Click here, the website is ugly, but oh well the app is good :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.