• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Cold as you've never known

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Coldest I have ever been was right where you said: I was on four expeditions to Antarctica back in the 60's. Not really sure the coldest - we were in a snow mine and the thermometer only went to -180 degrees F. In spite of that it was the most exciting time of my life.

Got me beat! You have to have the record here for experiencing the coldest.

I was about to chide more folks from Canada for not piping in. I lived in Ottawa Canada for 4 years. -40 C is not uncommon in the middle of winter (the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales pretty much converge at -40: doesn't matter whether it is C or F - it is just as cold!) . It is so cold that outside fluorescent lights barely work (we used to judge the outside temperature by how dim the parking garage lights were), snow makes an audible squeaking sound when you step on it, axles on cars would freeze in place, and several people a winter would die (yes, die) from exposure while waiting for city buses.

I thought THAT was cold. BUT, PapaNoHair, you top all those stories! Wow, I can't imagine that kind of cold. -40 was bad enough.

OP
mathogre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Darn, now that Toys-R-us song is going in my head! ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.