Airport Extreme help!

B

breyeguy

I have a 12" ibook that I just purchased and had the extreme card installed at the dealer. My other computer is a PC, and gets great wireless reception from my Network wireless router. My new ibook, however, gets VERY bad reception. I'll be on the other side of the room, and I'll have no signal. In fact, I have to be within about 10 feet of the router to get enough reception to pick up email. On our PC Laptop, we get strong reception at the other end of the house. Has anyone else had this problem, or is there something wrong with my card? I'm frustrated because apple claimed that it's a superior product because it has built in antenae to enhance reception. Perhaps the antena connector isn't attatched correctly or something. Please help! I don't want to have to buy a airport base station (which apparently only gives 80 feet worth of reception).

Thanks for the help...

brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
The antenna connector on the card is probably not inserted all the way. Take it back to the store to have them fix it, or, open the keyboard and push the antenna connector going into the card all the way in.

Jerry

OP
W

wickedbusa

I used to have an iBook 800 G4 and it had horrible reception. I would never get full signal, even sitting right next to the router. My antenna was plugged in all the way and I even had a genius look at it. The Powerbooks on the other hand get excellent reception, at least my new powerbook does.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Look in Software Update for an update to AirPort.

OP
W

wickedbusa

The software update, or the Interference robustness has no effect whatsoever on the strength of the signal. I used to have an iBook G4 and nothing helped the reception on that thing. I always had to carry my ethernet cord just in case. If there was no ethernet connections, I would just be fresh out of luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Yes, yes it does. There was an update that REALLY lowered your signal. If you updated to the new software, you would get your full signal back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Absolute Zero said:
Yes, yes it does. There was an update that REALLY lowered your signal. If you updated to the new software, you would get your full signal back.

Correct. The update (and the numerous problems it caused) was discussed heavily on Apple's support forums. It was so problematic that there was even a thread explaining how to uninstall it and revert to the previous version. Anyone who is somehow still running that version of the software would almost certainly be experiencing range and connection issues.

OP
W

wickedbusa

Absolute Zero said:
I just updated my girlfriend's iBook G4 with the newest AE software (3.4.1) and the signal is exactly the same. No difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, 3.4.2 is the latest, I believe. 3.4 was the update that caused it.

Maybe if you update the base station firmware. Or look for inderfearence. Or try to plug the antenna in a little more. I don't know.

OP
W

wickedbusa

Absolute Zero said:
Well, 3.4.2 is the latest, I believe. 3.4 was the update that caused it.

Maybe if you update the base station firmware. Or look for inderfearence. Or try to plug the antenna in a little more. I don't know.
My girlfriend and I use Linksys routers so the base station firmware is a no go. So, oh well. I guess she just has to sit closer to the router. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No wonder... Linksys sucks. Like, a lot.

OP
W

wickedbusa

Absolute Zero said:
No wonder... Linksys sucks. Like, a lot.
FWIW, I have no problem getting strong signals with my Powerbook. I really don't think it's the router, I have had no problems using a Linksys router with my PB or the PC laptops in my house. It's just the iBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... maybe it has something to do of what the iBook is made of.

OP
M

MoltenLava

huh?? LinkSys makes great product. They are so good, and Cisco acquired them last year.

BTW, I get the exact same coverage with my PowerBook and iBook from my LinkSys 802.11g router. If you have problem getting full signal strengh, the built in antenna in your laptop is probably faulty. I heard it's a cheap fix, maybe $10 or $20.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MoltenLava said:
huh?? LinkSys makes great product.
No, Lynksys sucks. They are cheap pieces of crap.

OP
W

wickedbusa

MoltenLava said:
huh?? LinkSys makes great product. They are so good, and Cisco acquired them last year.

BTW, I get the exact same coverage with my PowerBook and iBook from my LinkSys 802.11g router. If you have problem getting full signal strengh, the built in antenna in your laptop is probably faulty. I heard it's a cheap fix, maybe $10 or $20.
Is this something that you can do yourself, or do you have to have someone do it for you, like an Apple tech?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.