• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wndows user needs help

M

monsterfilmer

Hi, I'm an XP/ vaio user(don't shoot me)

I have written a small script into my website that detects mac users and alerts them that they need Windows Media Player to view my videos. Since I'm a PC person(please don't kill me) I have no way of testing to see if it works properly.

I really don't know any mac users so I googled "mac forums" and you fine folks popped up. :)

I would very grateful if just one of you could help me out. All you have to do is click this LINK

http://www.monsterfilmer.com/films2.htm

Thanks a bunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes, the dialog popped up. [Using Safari under OS X 10.2]

Keep in mind, though, that many Mac users hate Microsoft for religious reasons. Many more are just lazy. Which means that, when confronted with the choice between installing WMP or not viewing your videos, many Mac people will just not bother.

If you really, really want to attract a Mac audience, export a version in QuickTime. (Or MPEG, for that matter, which QuickTime will play)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
No really, it's that UBER cool Apple logo thing, really, have a look at one! :p

OP
M

monsterfilmer

Ooohh Macs are shiny.. :eek: must. get. shiny. computer. :eek:

If macs supported sony vegas, I'd probably get one. But they don't so I won't. :p Too bad, too. Cause I'm looking to get a laptop.

I have a serious question. What makes a mac better than a PC? I have known people that have had nothing but problems with their macs. They say they're slow and crash a lot. My first hand accounts directly contradict the "switch" commercials. I've heard people that love their macs say that it's smooth and applications open really fast. Well, so do my PC apps. Some people leave programs running in the background to make them start faster.. but not me. I click the icon and in less than two blinks, it's open. Adobe after effects takes about 5 secs to open. (and that's a huge program)

The best thing I've ascertained from what I've heard and read is that they run smooth(so does my PC) but best of all, they have slim chance of getting a virus. I can only imagine how much faster my PC would be if I didn't have to run 5 apps in the background as firewall and antivirus. :(

So, seriously, what are the advantages of a mac?(and don't say anything about evil empires cause steve jobs was the bad guy first)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The main advantage is the lack of exposure to virus/worm problems. On a Mac, you don't need to run a virus scan (unless networking to windows pcs) or the spyware hunter killers. Maintained Macs don't crash, and memory mangaged such that individual apps may crash without affecting the rest of the system. Also no constant re booting, sleep actually works on Mac. Also has it's own superb native firewall

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Not commenting... not commenting...

Script works fine on Safari 1.2 on Mac OS X 10.3.4.

OP
M

monsterfilmer

witeshark said:
The main advantage is the lack of exposure to virus/worm problems. On a Mac, you don't need to run a virus scan (unless networking to windows pcs) or the spyware hunter killers. Maintained Macs don't crash, and memory mangaged such that individual apps may crash without affecting the rest of the system. Also no constant re booting, sleep actually works on Mac. Also has it's own superb native firewall

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. I also hear macs are good with linear video editing.. but I've never tried it. I have no complaints about my PC. :D I think windows has a stigma attached to it because of stupid users. As you said with macs, maintained PCs don't crash either. At least not in my experience.

I've never used the hybernate feature on any of my PCs. I really don't see the use for it.

Anyone looking at a screenshot of my pc would think it's a mac.(kinda) lol I have a brushed steel skin with an object dock(i don't know what it's called on a mac) with crystalized icons and no desktop icons.

www.monsterfilmer.com/desktop.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
MonsterFilmer, I have only one question for you. YOU USE LINEAR EDITING!!!! Not unless you had a typo, Im appaled. I use only Non LINEAR DV Editing Systems. But moving on with that. To answer somewhat of your question, the Mac is the way to go for DV. I mean right now I have to use Premiere Pro cuz my Mac is messed up and my G5 hasnt come yet :mad: . But Final Cut Pro HD is one of the best Non Linear DV Editing Software systems out there. Keyframes, Alpha Channels, LiveType, RT Extreme. It has everything. If I were you, I would buy a G5, a HD Camcorder(JVC) and one of the Apple 30" HD Displays. Just remember, you need the special Nvidia card for the 30" display. Hopfully, you think this over and if you ever switch, the Mac DV Community will be happy because we will have a new Switcher and they have found the Joy of owning a Mac, TO EDIT!

OP
M

monsterfilmer

beret9987 said:
MonsterFilmer, I have only one question for you. YOU USE LINEAR EDITING!!!!

woops. Yeah, I meant NLE.

You use premiere?? I'm appalled. :p I'm a vegas man. Believe it or not, it is better than premiere, IMO. I'm not learning fx editing and I have no desire to do digital effects. The stuff I do with color and timing can all be done perfectly on my vaio.

The antiquated notion that PCs are slow and crash too much no longer applies to high end consumer PCs. I've read a lot of articles that compare vegas 4.0 with FC pro. I was shocked to hear there really is little comparison. Now I use vegas 5.0 which has new support for HD. HD may be in my future but right now I'm focusing more on learning and doing silly little stuff than actually staging anything that would merit the purchase of HD equipment.

Alls I need is a good video card and a couple monitors and I'll be set.(for now) :D :p

Cool to meet another editor, though.
cool.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
monsterfilmer said:
Anyone looking at a screenshot of my pc would think it's a mac.(kinda) lol I have a brushed steel skin with an object dock(i don't know what it's called on a mac) with crystalized icons and no desktop icons.

www.monsterfilmer.com/desktop.jpg

Wow! Thats sweet! Nice Job

OP
M

markceltic

My local guru says if anybody has to get a pc it should be the sony vaio line!I can appreciate the quality of sony's gear,I came oh so close to buying one of their camcorders, but I went with the canon in the end.I can't be objective between the mac & pc since I've only used a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It may be worth noting that Mac and pc usually is a Mac vs windows, but pc (like mine) can happily run Linux or a BSD too

OP
T

The Saab Pimp

it's all an opinion. to windows users, windows is better, to mac users, macs are better. there are inherit pros and cons to each platform, but basically it's all an opinion. like religions. no one religion is necessarily "better" than the next, but whichever one you grow up with is probably the one you stick with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Very True indeed. That is why I own both of them. They both get the job done and my PC never crashes for some reason(Maybe because I keep it clean) and I keep it updated.

OP
M

monsterfilmer

markceltic said:
My local guru says if anybody has to get a pc it should be the sony vaio line!I can appreciate the quality of sony's gear,I came oh so close to buying one of their camcorders, but I went with the canon in the end.I can't be objective between the mac & pc since I've only used a mac.

I got no complaints about my vaio. It's pure quality.

And I can't really judge macs cause I've only used PCs. Maybe some day I'll get one.

OP
D

dziner

It's not that I'm paranoid about installing WMP... I've tried it and just don't like it. Video playback is just not as nice as an mpg or mov file with QuickTime. I have a Mac at home and a PC at work. At work we post windows media files to our site but I strongly support switching that to QuickTime. This could turn into a long post so I'll just leave it at that.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
The Saab Pimp said:
it's all an opinion. to windows users, windows is better, to mac users, macs are better. there are inherit pros and cons to each platform, but basically it's all an opinion. like religions. no one religion is necessarily "better" than the next, but whichever one you grow up with is probably the one you stick with.
I'm a Mac user, I grew up with Macs, and I despise them because the ones I have owned sucked.

But I guess I stick with them because I grew up with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Zero, at least you have a PB. Mine went away. Feel lucky.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.