Compling stuff

Reaction score
I want to complie a few open source applications I really like for my Mac. Problem is I am not 100% sure as to how to make My mac do that.

So I am wondering:
  • How do I get the latest version of GCC on my mac?
  • Would I do the Compiling in a regular console or X11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have a very limited amount of experience in this area, but I will tell you this. When I compile HandBrake builds I simply open X11, then open the console, point it to the HandBrake directory and type "make". That's it.

That's all of my experience in this area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You need to install the Developer Tools off your installation disks. This will give you all the GNU tools for C, C++ and Objective C, Java, all the SDKs and the Xcode development environment.

OP
N
Reaction score
You need to install the Developer Tools off your installation disks. This will give you all the GNU tools for C, C++ and Objective C, Java, all the SDKs and the Xcode development environment.
Go to the extras on my installation disks? That will give me the basic stuff I need, will mac in all of its flexible unix-like wonder let me compile the newer versions?

D

danielb

The developer tools will get you the tools to compile the source. Most projects will have a make file to make building them easier. Make sure you read the README and other documentation before you start building your project. It is just like making it for *nix system.

I just use the terminal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.