Setting up a Dev Environment

Reaction score
So I am needing to set up a development environment on my Mac, for my website. So I was wondering what was the best way to go about getting the following applications on my Mac
  • Apache 2.2.4
  • PHP5
  • Tomcat(latest Version)
  • Ruby on Rails
  • Ruby CGI
  • Perl/Perl CGI
  • Python/Python CGI

I run an intel Macbook.

Reaction score
I have a few links on my blog www.tigerplug.com

Mac OS X comes with Apache and PHP preinstalled.

All the info that you need on Ruby on Rails is over on hiverlogic.com (as far as the installation goes).

OP
N
Reaction score
I have a few links on my blog www.tigerplug.com

Mac OS X comes with Apache and PHP preinstalled.

All the info that you need on Ruby on Rails is over on hiverlogic.com (as far as the installation goes).
I want the latest version of Apache and PHP. Plus I am not 100% sure as to how to turn apache on.

-- Added

Also where in your blog can I find that information?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
For Apache and PHP I use MAMP, which is a simple drag-and-drop way to install Apache 2, PHP 4 and 5 and MySQL. For RoR, check out Locomotive

Of course, those are limited in that you are stuck with the configurations provided. You could just install the developer tools from your installation CDs and build everything from source. When I do that I make sure everything goes into a special location (e.g. /usr/local/webdev) so that I can bypass it or 'uninstall' by simply deleting that directory :)

OP
N
Reaction score
For Apache and PHP I use MAMP, which is a simple drag-and-drop way to install Apache 2, PHP 4 and 5 and MySQL. For RoR, check out Locomotive

Of course, those are limited in that you are stuck with the configurations provided. You could just install the developer tools from your installation CDs and build everything from source. When I do that I make sure everything goes into a special location (e.g. /usr/local/webdev) so that I can bypass it or 'uninstall' by simply deleting that directory :)
Hmm.. the problem I am having is compiling everything... I guess I just do not understand how to do it on the mac.

Thanks I will check out those links.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.