MAC Address Filtering?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
I started a thread a while back having problems securing my Belkin Router...tried everything we could think of to fix the problem but to no avail.

Anyways...are there any draw-backs to enabling MAC address filtering and inputing the MAC addresses of the 6 or 7 devices that will be using the network? Would this effectively keep our information secure and keep other people from our apartment building from using our internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
It does noting to secure your transmitted data, it only prohibits other computers from getting IP addresses.

I'd suggest not broadcasting your SSID, using WPA for encryption and using MAC address filtering.

Reaction score
I'd recommend the opposite :Oops:

Turning off the SSID broadcasting just means its more tricky for your computer to maintain a link with your router - networks can be sniffed in seconds whether you're broadcasting or not. MAC filter adds nothing to your security - it too can be sniffed easily. Use WPA2 encryption and limit the number of IP address your router leases. Anything else is pointless, frankly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.